Features and Benefits
- High performance
- True differential analog input range: ±VREF
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.5 V and 5 V
- Throughput: 1 MSPS/500 kSPS options
- Zero latency architecture
- 16-bit resolution with no missing codes
- INL: ±0.4 LSB typical, ±1 LSB maximum
- Dynamic range: 95.5 dB, VREF = 5 V
- SNR: 94 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- THD: −118.5 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- SINAD: 93.5 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- True differential analog input range: ±VREF
- Low power dissipation
- Single-supply 2.5 V operation with 1.8 V/2.5 V/3 V/5 V logic interface
- AD7916: 2 mW at 500 kSPS (VDD only) 3.7 mW at 500 kSPS (total)
- 70 μW at 10 kSPS
- Proprietary serial interface: SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE™-/DSP-compatible1
- 10-lead packages: MSOP and 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
- Wide operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
The AD7915/AD7916 are 16-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) that operate from a single power supply, VDD. They contain a low power, high speed, 16-bit sampling ADC and a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, the AD7915/AD7916 sample the voltage difference between the IN+ and IN− pins. The voltages on these pins typically swing in opposite phases between 0 V and VREF. The reference voltage, REF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD. The power consumption of the AD7915/AD7916 scales linearly with throughput.
The AD7915/AD7916 are serial peripheral interface (SPI) compatible, which features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus. They are compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic using the separate VIO supply.The AD7915/AD7916 are available in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C.
- Automated test equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Machine automation
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The 10-lead PulSAR® evaluation board covers the following 10-lead PulSAR analog-to-digital converters (ADCs): AD7685 (16-bit), AD7686 (16-bit), AD7687 (16-bit), AD7688 (16-bit), AD7690 (18-bit), AD7691 (18-bit), AD7693 (16-bit), AD7942 (14-bit), AD7946 (14-bit), AD7980 (16-bit), AD7982 (18-bit), AD7983 (16-bit), AD7984 (18-bit), AD7988-5 (16-bit), AD7989-5 (18-bit), AD7915 (16-bit) and AD7916 (16-bit).
The 8-lead PulSAR evaluation board covers the following 8-lead PulSAR ADCs: AD7683 (16-bit), AD7684 (16-bit), and AD7694 (16-bit).
These low power ADCs offer very high performance of up to 18 bits with throughputs ranging from 100 kSPS to 1.33 MSPS. The evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of the ADCs and to provide an easy to understand interface for a variety of system applications. A full description of these products is available in their respective data sheets, which should be consulted when using this evaluation board. The evaluation board is ideal for use with Analog Devices, Inc., system demonstration platform (SDP). This evaluation board interfaces to the SDP board via a 120-pin connector. SMA connectors, J6 and J10, are provided for the low noise analog signal source.
On-board components include a high precision buffered band gap 5.0 V reference (ADR435), a signal conditioning circuit with two op amps (ADA4841-1), and a power supply to derive the necessary voltage levels to supply all voltage needs. The 8-lead board also includes a level shifter (ADG3304) to interface the ADC with the EVAL-SDP-CB1Z.
Wall adapter power supply
Additional equipment needed
SDP board (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z) (optional)
Cable (SMA input to evaluation board)
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for 8-/10-lead PulSAR ADCs
- Versatile analog signal conditioning circuitry
- On-board reference, reference buffers, and ADC drivers
- PC software for control and data analysis of time and frequency domain
- System demonstration platform compatible (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z)
Documentation & Resources
AN-935: Designing an ADC Transformer-Coupled Front End (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. C)2/14/2015
AN-931: Understanding PulSAR ADC Support Circuitry (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-1141: Powering a Dual Supply Precision ADC with Switching Regulators (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-877: Interfacing to High Speed ADCs via SPI (Rev. B)11/9/2007
SAR ADC & Driver Quick-Match Guide9/13/2013
Low Power Precision Data Acquisition Signal Chain for Space Constrained Applications8/1/2015
Low Power Precision Data Acquisition Signal Chain For Space Constrained Applications8/1/2015
Designing Power Supplies for High Speed ADC2/1/2012
MS-2124: Understanding AC Behaviors of High Speed ADCs2/1/2011
Tools & Simulations
AD7916 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5kVrms isolation:ADUM3401.
For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5kVrms isolation:ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
Recommended External Voltage References
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current applications: ADA4627-1, ADA4637-1, AD8610.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4805-1, ADA4805-2, ADA4841-1, ADA4841-2, ADA4940-1, ADA4941-1.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4805-1, ADA4897-2, AD8021.
Recommended Power Solutions
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.