Features and Benefits
- High performance
- Pseudo differential analog input range
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.9 V to 5 V
- Throughput: 1.33 MSPS
- Zero latency architecture
- 16-bit resolution with no missing codes
- INL: ±0.6 LSB typical, ±1.0 LSB maximum
- Dynamic range: 93 dB, VREF = 5 V
- SNR: 92 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- THD: −115 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- SINAD: 92 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- Pseudo differential analog input range
- Low power dissipation
- Single-supply 2.5 V operation with 1.8 V/2.5 V/3 V/5 V logic interface
- 5.25 mW at 1.33 MSPS (VDD only)
- 10.5 mW at 1.33 MSPS (total)
- 80 μW at 10 kSPS
- Proprietary serial interface
- Daisy-chain multiple ADCs and busy indicator
- 10-lead MSOP and 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
- Wide operating temperature range: −40°C to +85°C
The AD7983 is a 16-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that operates from a single power supply, VDD. It contains a low power, high speed, 16-bit sampling ADC and a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, it samples an analog input IN+ between 0 V to REF with respect to a ground sense IN−. The reference voltage, REF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD. Its power scales linearly with throughput.
The SPI-compatible serial interface also features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single, 3-wire bus and provides an optional busy indicator. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, or 5 V logic, using the separate supply VIO.
The AD7983 is housed in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°.
- Automated test equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Machine automation
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The EVAL-AD7983SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7983. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the System Development Platform . When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
The PMOD-compatible evaluation/prototyping board is a small form factor, low-cost analog-to-digital conversion option. When prototyping, this board is used in conjunction with your favorite MCU or FPGA development board which has the SPI PMOD peripheral connector. Direct electrical and physical connection will enable you to quickly develop software for your system.
This board can also be operated as an evaluation board using the System Demonstration Platform (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z) and an adaptor board (SDP-PMD-IB1Z). When operated with the System Demonstration Platform, a LabView software GUI is provided enabling the user to perform analysis of the ADC's performance.
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7983 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM3401.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
Product Selection Guide (1)
Customer Case Studies (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.