AD7983: 16-Bit, 1.33 MSPS PulSAR ADC in MSOP/LFCSP Data Sheet (Rev. C)11/1/2007557 K
Features and Benefits
- High performance
- Pseudo differential analog input range
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.9 V to 5 V
- Throughput: 1.33 MSPS
- Zero latency architecture
- 16-bit resolution with no missing codes
- INL: ±0.6 LSB typical, ±1.0 LSB maximum
- Dynamic range: 93 dB, VREF = 5 V
- SNR: 92 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- THD: −115 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- SINAD: 92 dB at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V
- Pseudo differential analog input range
- Low power dissipation
- Single-supply 2.5 V operation with 1.8 V/2.5 V/3 V/5 V logic interface
- 5.25 mW at 1.33 MSPS (VDD only)
- 10.5 mW at 1.33 MSPS (total)
- 80 μW at 10 kSPS
- Proprietary serial interface
- Daisy-chain multiple ADCs and busy indicator
- 10-lead MSOP and 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
- Wide operating temperature range: −40°C to +85°C
The AD7983 is a 16-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that operates from a single power supply, VDD. It contains a low power, high speed, 16-bit sampling ADC and a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, it samples an analog input IN+ between 0 V to REF with respect to a ground sense IN−. The reference voltage, REF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD. Its power scales linearly with throughput.
The SPI-compatible serial interface also features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single, 3-wire bus and provides an optional busy indicator. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, or 5 V logic, using the separate supply VIO.
The AD7983 is housed in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°.
- Automated test equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Machine automation
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The EVAL-AD7983SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7983. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the System Development Platform . When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
The PMOD-compatible evaluation/prototyping board is a small form factor, low-cost analog-to-digital conversion option. When prototyping, this board is used in conjunction with your favorite MCU or FPGA development board which has the SPI PMOD peripheral connector. Direct electrical and physical connection will enable you to quickly develop software for your system.
This board can also be operated as an evaluation board using the System Demonstration Platform (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z) and an adaptor board (SDP-PMD-IB1Z). When operated with the System Demonstration Platform, a LabView software GUI is provided enabling the user to perform analysis of the ADC's performance.
Features & Benefits
- 16-Bit Analog to Digital Converters
- 1333 kSPS
- Unipolar, Single-Ended Input
- Standard SPI PMOD header/pin out
- Connectable to 3rd Party FPGA and MCU Platforms
Documentation & Resources
Understanding PulSAR ADC Support Circuitry7/30/2020
AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. C)2/14/2015427 K
The Data Conversion Handbook, 20051/2/2005
MT-002: What the Nyquist Criterion Means to Your Sampled Data System Design2/14/2015152 kB
MT-031: Grounding Data Converters and Solving the Mystery of "AGND" and "DGND"3/20/2009144 kB
SAR ADC & Driver Quick-Match Guide9/13/2013251 kB
National Instruments Case Study11/21/2014
Protecting ADC Inputs4/1/2017
Designing Power Supplies for High Speed ADC2/1/2012
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7983 IBIS Models
AD7983 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM3401.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current applications: ADA4627-1, ADA4637-1, AD8610.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4841-1, ADA4896-2, AD8031, AD8031.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4897-1, AD8021.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.