Features and Benefits
- Throughput: 2 MSPS/1 MSPS/500 kSPS options
- INL: ±1.0 LSB maximum
- Guaranteed 16-bit, no missing codes
- Low power
- 4.9 mW/MSPS, 2.5 mW at 500 kSPS, VDD only
- 7 mW/MSPS, 70 μW at 10 kSPS, 14 mW at 2 MSPS, total
- SNR: 93 dB typical at fIN = 1 kHz, 90 dB typical at fIN = 100 kHz
- Oversampled SNR
- 96 dB at 1.0 MSPS, OSR = 2
- 123 dB at 1.9 kSPS, OSR = 1024
- THD: −115 dB typical at fIN = 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V; −95 dB typical at fIN = 100 kHz
- SINAD: 82 dB at fIN = 1 MHz
- Easy Drive
- Greatly reduced input kickback
- Input current reduced to 0.4 μA/MSPS
- Long acquisition phase, ≥79% of cycle time at 1 MSPS
- Input span compression for single-supply operation
- Fast conversion time allows low SPI clock rates
- Input overvoltage clamp protection sinks up to 50 mA
- Greatly reduced input kickback
- Pseudo differential input range
- 0 V to VREF with VREF from 2.4 V to 5.1 V
- Single 1.8 V supply operation with 1.71 V to 5.5 V logic interface
- First conversion accurate
- SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE-/DSP-compatible serial interface
- Ability to daisy-chain multiple ADCs
- Guaranteed operation: −40°C to +125°C
- 10-lead packages: 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP, 3 mm × 4.90 mm MSOP
- Pin compatible with AD4003/AD4007/AD4011 family
The AD4000/AD4004/AD4008 are high accuracy, high speed, low power, 16-bit, Easy Drive, precision successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The high throughput allows both accurate capture of high frequency signals and decimation to achieve higher SNR, while reducing antialiasing filter challenges.
Easy Drive features reduce signal chain complexity and power consumption, and enable higher channel density. The reduced input current, particularly in high-Z mode, coupled with a long signal acquisition phase, eliminates the need for a dedicated high power, high speed ADC driver, which broadens the range of low power precision amplifiers that can drive these ADCs directly (see Figure 2). The input span compression feature enables the ADC driver amplifier and the ADC to operate off of common supply rails without the need for a negative supply while preserving the full ADC code range. The input overvoltage clamp protects the ADC inputs against overvoltage events, minimizes disturbance
on the reference pin, and eliminates the need for external protection diodes.
The low serial peripheral interface (SPI) clock rate (70 MHz for the AD4000 at 2 MSPS in turbo mode) reduces the digital input/output power consumption, broadens processor options, and simplifies the task of sending data across digital isolation.
The SPI-compatible versatile serial interface features seven programmable modes with an optional busy indicator. Using the SDI input, several ADCs can be daisy-chained on a single 3-wire bus. The AD4000/AD4004/AD4008 are compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic, using the separate supply, VIO.
- Automatic test equipment
- Machine automation
- Medical equipment
- Battery-powered equipment
- Precision data acquisition systems
Markets & Technology
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Aerospace and Defense
- Sensor Interfaces
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 family of evaluation boards enable quick, simplified evaluation of the AD4000 family of 16-/18-/20-bit, precision successive approx-imation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 are low power, 16-bit/18-bit/20-bit, precision SAR ADCs that offer high performance with throughputs up to 2 MSPS (1.8 MSPS for the AD4020). The evaluation board demonstrates the performance of the AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 family of ADCs and provides a simplified interface for a variety of system applications.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ/EVAL-AD4001FMCZ/EVAL-AD4002FMCZ/EVAL-AD4003FMCZ/EVAL-AD4020FMCZ evaluation boards, accessible from the EVAL-AD400x-FMCZ product page, are ideal for use with the Analog Devices, Inc., high speed system demonstration platform (SDP-H1). These evaluation boards interface to the SDP-H1 board via a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) mezzanine card (FMC) low pin count (LPC) connector.
On-board components include a high precision buffered band gap 5.0 V reference (ADR4550), a reference buffer (ADA4807-1), a common-mode buffer (ADA4807-1), a signal conditioning circuit with two op amps (ADA4807-1), and a power supply to derive the necessary voltage levels to supply all voltage needs.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ, EVAL-AD4001FMCZ, EVAL-AD4002FMCZ, EVAL-AD4003FMCZ, and EVAL-AD4020FMCZ are populated with the AD4000, AD4001, AD4002, AD4003, and AD4020, respectively. However, these boards can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004, AD4005, AD4006, AD4007, AD4008, AD4010, AD4011, AD4021, and AD4022 by limiting the sample rate in the evaluation software to the maximum sample rate of the specific ADC. For example, the AD4000 on the EVAL-AD4000FMCZ can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004 if the sample rate is limited to 1 MSPS. See the data sheet of each product for the corresponding evaluation board.
Full descriptions of these products are available in their respective data sheets, which must be consulted when using the corresponding evaluation board. Table 7 shows the models of the AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 evaluation boards.
Features & Benefits
- Fully featured evaluation board for 10-lead precision ADCs
- Versatile analog signal conditioning circuitry
- On-board reference, reference buffers, and ADC drivers
- PC software for control and data analysis of time and frequency domain
- System demonstration platform-compatible (SDP-H1)
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
To launch ready-to-run LTspice demonstration circuits for this part:
Step 1: Download and install LTspice on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link in the section below to download a demonstration circuit.
Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link below, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As.” After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting ‘Open’ from the ‘File’ menu.
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD4000 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low input bias current, low noise applications: ADA4610-1.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4897-1, ADA4932-1.
- For precision, lowest power applications: ADA4096-2, ADA4692-2, ADA4077-1, ADA4084-1.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4807-1.
Recommended External Voltage References
Recommended Digital Isolators
Recommended Low Dropout Regulators and Switchers
Recommended MEMS Accelerometers
- For low noise, low drift, low power 3-axis accelerometer: ADXL354.
3rd Party Solutions (1)
Technical Articles (4)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.