Features and Benefits
- Throughput: 500 kSPS
- INL: ±1.0 LSB maximum
- Guaranteed 16-bit no missing codes
- Low power
- 2.5 mW at 500 kSPS (VDD only)
- 70 μW at 10 kSPS, 3.5 mW at 500 kSPS (total)
- SNR: 93 dB typical at 1 kHz, 90 dB typical at 100 kHz
- THD: -115 dB typical at 1 kHz, -95 dB typical at 100 kHz
- Ease of use features reduce system power and complexity
- Input overvoltage clamp circuit
- Reduced nonlinear input charge kickback
- High-Z mode o Long acquisition phase
- Input span compression
- Fast conversion time allows low SPI clock rates
- SPI-programmable modes, read/write capability, status word
- Pseudo differential (single-ended) analog input range: 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.4 V to 5.1 V
- Single 1.8 V supply operation with 1.71 V to 5.5 V logic interface
- SAR architecture: no latency/pipeline delay
- Guaranteed operation: -40°C to 125°C
- Serial interface SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE-/DSP-compatible
- Ability to daisy-chain multiple ADCs and busy indicator
- 10-lead package: 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
Product DetailsThe AD4008 is a low noise, low power, high speed, 16-bit, 500 kSPS precision successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC). It incorporates ease of use features that lower the signal chain power, reduce signal chain complexity, and enable higher channel density. The high-Z mode, coupled with a long acquisition phase, eliminates the need for a dedicated high power, high speed ADC driver, thus broadening the range of low power precision amplifiers that can drive this ADC directly while still achieving optimum performance. The input span compression feature enables the ADC driver amplifier and the ADC to operate off common supply rails without the need for a negative supply while preserving the full ADC code range. The low serial peripheral interface (SPI) clock rate requirement reduces the digital input/output power consumption, broadens processor options, and simplifies the task of sending data across digital isolation.
Operating from a 1.8 V supply, the AD4008 samples an analog input (IN+) between 0 V to VREF with respect to a ground sense (IN−) with VREF ranging from 2.4 V to 5.1 V. The AD4008 consumes only 3.5 mW at 500 kSPS and achieves ±1.0 LSB INL maximum, no missing codes at 16 bits with 93 dB SNR. The reference voltage is applied externally and can be set independently of the supply voltage.
The SPI-compatible versatile serial interface features seven different modes including the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus and provides an optional busy indicator. The AD4008 is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic, using the separate VIO supply.
The AD4008 is available in a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C. The device is pin compatible with the 18-bit, 2 MSPS AD4003.
- Automatic test equipment
- Machine automation
- Medical equipment
- Battery-powered equipment
- Precision data acquisition systems
Markets & Technology
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Aerospace and Defense
- Instrumentation & Measurement
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD4000 / AD4001 / AD4002 / AD4003 / AD4020 family evaluation board covers the ease of use, 16-/18-/20-bit, precision successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/ AD4003/AD4020 are low power, 16-bit/18-bit/20-bit, precision SAR ADCs that offer very high performance with throughputs up to 2 MSPS (1.8 MSPS for the AD4020). The evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of the AD4000 / AD4001 / AD4002 / AD400 / AD4020 family of ADCs and to provide an easy to understand interface for a variety of system applications. A full description of these products is available in their respective data sheets, which must be consulted when using this evaluation board.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ / EVAL-AD4001FMCZ / EVAL-AD4002FMCZ / EVAL-AD4003FMCZ / EVAL-AD4020FMCZ evaluation boards (see Figure 1) are ideal for use with the Analog Devices, Inc., high speed system demonstration platform (EVAL-SDP-CH1Z). These evaluation boards interface to the SDP-H1 board via a 120-pin connector. SMA connectors, JP2 and JP3, are provided for the low noise analog signal source.
On-board components include a high precision buffered band gap 5.0 V reference (the ADR4550), a reference buffer (the ADA4807-1), a common-mode buffer (the ADA4807-1), a signal conditioning circuit with two op amps (the ADA4807-1), and a power supply to derive the necessary voltage levels to supply all voltage needs.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ, EVAL-AD4001FMCZ, EVAL-AD4002FMCZ and EVAL-AD4003FMCZ are populated with the AD4000, AD4001, AD4002 and AD4003, respectively. However, these boards can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004, AD4005, AD4006, AD4007, AD4008, AD4010, and AD4011 by limiting the sample rate in the evaluation software to the maximum sample rate of the specific ADC. For example, the AD4000 on the EVAL-AD4000FMCZ can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004 if the sample rate is limited to 1 MSPS. See the data sheet of each product for its corresponding evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Fully featured evaluation board for 10-lead precision ADCs
- Versatile analog signal conditioning circuitry
- On-board reference, reference buffers, and ADC drivers
- PC software for control and data analysis of time and frequency domain
- System demonstration platform-compatible (EVAL-SDP-CH1Z)
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool - BETA
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD4008 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low input bias current, low noise applications: ADA4610-1.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4897-1, ADA4932-1.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4807-1.
- For precision, lowest power applications: ADA4096-2, ADA4692-2, ADA4077-1, ADA4084-1.
Recommended External Voltage References
Recommended Digital Isolators
Recommended Low Dropout Regulators and Switchers
Recommended MEMS Accelerometers
- For low noise, low drift, low power 3-axis accelerometer: ADXL354.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.