Features and Benefits
- Low power dissipation
4 mW at 1 MSPS (VDD only)
7 mW at 1 MSPS (total)
- 16-bit resolution with no missing codes
- Throughput: 1 MSPS
- INL: ±0.4 LSB typical, 1 LSB maximum
- SNR: 94 dB at 1 kHz,
VREF = 5 V
- SINAD: 93.5 dB at 1 kHz,
VREF = 5 V
- THD: −118.5 dB at 1 kHz
- Dynamic range: 95.5 dB,
VREF = 5 V
- True differential analog input range: ±VREF
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.4 V and 5.1 V
- No pipeline delay
- Single-supply 2.5 V operation with 1.8 V/2.5 V/3 V/5 V logic interface
- Proprietary serial interface: SPI-/QSPI™-/MICROWIRE™-/DSPcompatible
- Ability to daisy-chain multiple ADCs
- 10-lead package: MSOP and 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
The AD7915/AD7916 are 16-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) that operate from a single power supply, VDD. They contain a low power, high speed, 16-bit sampling ADC and a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, the AD7915/AD7916 sample the voltage difference between the IN+ and IN− pins. The voltages on these pins typically swing in opposite phases between 0 V and VREF. The reference voltage, REF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD. Its power scales linearly with throughput.
The AD7915/AD7916 are serial peripheral interface (SPI) compatible, which features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic, using the separate VIO supply.The AD7915/AD7916 are available in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C.
- Battery-powered equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Seismic data acquisition systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The 10-lead PulSAR® evaluation board covers the following 10-lead PulSAR analog-to-digital converters (ADCs): AD7685 (16-bit), AD7686 (16-bit), AD7687 (16-bit), AD7688 (16-bit), AD7690 (18-bit), AD7691 (18-bit), AD7693 (16-bit), AD7942 (14-bit), AD7946 (14-bit), AD7980 (16-bit), AD7982 (18-bit), AD7983 (16-bit), AD7984 (18-bit), AD7988-5 (16-bit), AD7989-5 (18-bit), AD7915 (16-bit) and AD7916 (16-bit).
The 8-lead PulSAR evaluation board covers the following 8-lead PulSAR ADCs: AD7683 (16-bit), AD7684 (16-bit), and AD7694 (16-bit).
These low power ADCs offer very high performance of up to 18 bits with throughputs ranging from 100 kSPS to 1.33 MSPS. The evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of the ADCs and to provide an easy to understand interface for a variety of system applications. A full description of these products is available in their respective data sheets, which should be consulted when using this evaluation board. The evaluation board is ideal for use with Analog Devices, Inc., system demonstration platform (SDP). This evaluation board interfaces to the SDP board via a 120-pin connector. SMA connectors, J6 and J10, are provided for the low noise analog signal source.
On-board components include a high precision buffered band gap 5.0 V reference (ADR435), a signal conditioning circuit with two op amps (ADA4841-1), and a power supply to derive the necessary voltage levels to supply all voltage needs. The 8-lead board also includes a level shifter (ADG3304) to interface the ADC with the EVAL-SDP-CB1Z.
Wall adapter power supply
Additional equipment needed
SDP board (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z) (optional)
Cable (SMA input to evaluation board)
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for 8-/10-lead PulSAR ADCs
- Versatile analog signal conditioning circuitry
- On-board reference, reference buffers, and ADC drivers
- PC software for control and data analysis of time and frequency domain
- System demonstration platform compatible (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z)
Application Notes (6)
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool - BETA
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7915 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5kVrms isolation:ADUM3401.
For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5kVrms isolation:ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
Recommended External Voltage References
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current applications: ADA4627-1, ADA4637-1, AD8610.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4805-1, ADA4805-2, ADA4841-1, ADA4841-2, ADA4940-1, ADA4941-1.
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4805-1, ADA4897-2, AD8021.
Recommended Power Solutions
Product Selection Guide (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.