Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS outputs
- SNR = 74.5 dBFS at 70 MHz
- SFDR = 91 dBc at 70 MHz
- Low power: 106 mW/channel at 125 MSPS
- Differential analog input with 650 MHz bandwidth
- IF sampling frequencies to 200 MHz
- See data sheet for additional features
- Download AD9648-EP data sheet (pdf)
- Military temperature range: −55°C to +125°C
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/16606 DSCC Drawing Number
Product DetailsThe AD9648 is a monolithic, dual-channel, 1.8 V supply, 14-bit, 105 MSPS/125 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC). It features a high performance sample-and-hold circuit and on-chip voltage reference. The product uses multistage differential pipeline architecture with output error correction logic to provide 14-bit accuracy at 125 MSPS data rates and to guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as programmable clock and data alignment and programmable digital test pattern generation. The available digital test patterns include built-in deterministic and pseudorandom patterns, along with custom user-defined test patterns entered via the serial port interface (SPI).
A differential clock input controls all internal conversion cycles. An optional duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent overall ADC performance.
The digital output data is presented in offset binary, Gray code, or twos complement format. A data output clock (DCO) is provided for each ADC channel to ensure proper latch timing with receiving logic. Output logic levels of 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS are supported. Output data can also be multiplexed onto a single output bus.
The AD9648 is available in a 64-lead RoHS compliant LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range (−40°C to +85°C).
- Diversity radio systems
- Multimode digital receivers
GSM, EDGE, W-CDMA, LTE,
CDMA2000, WiMAX, TD-SCDMA
- I/Q demodulation systems
- Smart antenna systems
- Broadband data applications
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand held scope meters
- Portable medical imaging
- The AD9648 operates from a single 1.8 V analog power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS logic families.
- The patented sample-and-hold circuit maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 200 MHz and is designed for low cost, low power, and ease of use.
- A standard serial port interface supports various product features and functions, such as data output formatting, internal clock divider, power-down, DCO/data timing and offset adjustments.
- The AD9648 is packaged in a 64-lead RoHS compliant LFCSP that is pin compatible with the AD9650/AD9269/AD9268 16-bit ADC’s, the AD9258 14-bit ADC, the AD9628/AD9231 12-bit ADC’s, and the AD9608/AD9204 10-bit ADC’s, enabling a simple migration path between 10-bit and 16-bit converters sampling from 20 MSPS to 125 MSPS.
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The AD9648-125EBZ is an evaluation board for the AD9648, dual 14-bit ADC. This reference design provides all of the support circuitry to operate devices in their various modes and configurations, It is designed to interface directly with the HSC-ADC-EVALCZ data capture card, allowing users to download captured data for analysis. The Visual Analog software package, which is used to interface with the device’s hardware, allows users to download captured data for analysis with a user-friendly graphical interface. The SPI controller software package is also compatible with this hardware and allows the user to access the SPI programmable features of the AD9648.
The AD9648 data sheet provides additional information related to device configuration and performance and should be consulted when using these tools. All documents and Visual Analog and SPI Controller are available at the High Speed ADC Evaluation Boards page. For additional information or questions, please email email@example.com.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD9648
- SPI interface for setup and control
- External, on-board oscillator, or AD9517 clocking option
- Balun/transformer or amplifier input drive option
- LDO regulator or switching power supply options
- VisualAnalog® and SPI controller software interfaces
The HSC-ADC-EVALCZ high speed converter evaluation platform uses an FPGA based buffer memory board to capture blocks of digital data from the Analog Devices high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC) evaluation boards. The board is connected to the PC through a USB port and is used with VisualAnalog® to quickly evaluate the performance of high speed ADCs. The evaluation kit is easy to set up. Additional equipment needed includes an Analog Devices high speed ADC evaluation board, a signal source, and a clock source. Once the kit is connected and powered, the evaluation is enabled instantly on the PC.
Features & Benefits
- 64kB FIFO Depth
- Works with single and multi-channel ADCs
- Use with VisualAnalog® software
- Based on Virtex-4 FPGA
- May require adaptor to interface with some ADC eval boards
- Allows programming of SPI control Up to 644 MSPS SDR / 800MSPS DDR Encode Rates on each channel
- DDR Encode Rates on each channel
Documentation & Resources
AN-905: VisualAnalog™ Converter Evaluation Tool Version 1.0 User Manual8/18/2020
AN-878: High Speed ADC SPI Control Software (Rev. A)3/20/2018
AN-835: Understanding High Speed ADC Testing and Evaluation (Rev. B)5/12/2015
AN-282: Fundamentals of Sampled Data Systems2/14/2015
AN-756: Sampled Systems and the Effects of Clock Phase Noise and Jitter (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-827: A Resonant Approach to Interfacing Amplifiers to Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-935: Designing an ADC Transformer-Coupled Front End (Rev. 0)2/14/2015
AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs (Rev. C)2/14/2015
AN-1142: Techniques for High Speed ADC PCB Layout (Rev. 0)2/2/2012
AN-737: How ADIsimADC Models an ADC (Rev. B)11/9/2007
AN-807: Multicarrier WCDMA Feasibility (Rev. 0)11/9/2007
AN-808: Multicarrier CDMA2000 Feasibility (Rev. 0)11/9/2007
AN-803: Pin Compatible High Speed ADCs Simplify Design Tasks (Rev. 0)11/29/2006
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9648 IBIS Model
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
AD9648 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
- For low jitter performance: AD9510, AD9511, AD9512, AD9513, AD9514, AD9515.
- For low jitter performance along with on chip PLL and VCO: AD9523, AD9523-1, AD9524.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.