Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V to 3.3 V output supply
- 71.3 dBFS at 9.7 MHz input
- 69.0 dBFS at 200 MHz input
- 93 dBc at 9.7 MHz input
- 83 dBc at 200 MHz input
- Low power
- 32 mW per channel at 20 MSPS
- 71 mW per channel at 80 MSPS
- Differential input with 700 MHz bandwidth
- 2 V p-p differential analog input
- On-chip voltage reference and sample-and-hold circuit
- DNL = ±0.40 LSB
- Serial port control options
- Offset binary, gray code, or twos complement data format
- Optional clock duty cycle stabilizer
- Integer 1-to-8 input clock divider
- Data output multiplex option
- Built-in selectable digital test pattern generation
- Energy-saving power-down modes
- Data clock out with programmable clock and data alignment
The AD9231 is a monolithic, dual-channel, 1.8 V supply, 12-bit, 20 MSPS / 40 MSPS / 65 MSPS/80 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC). It features a high performance sample-and-hold circuit and on-chip voltage reference.
The product uses multistage differential pipeline architecture with output error correction logic to provide 12-bit accuracy at 80 MSPS data rates and to guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as programmable clock and data alignment and programmable digital test pattern generation. The available digital test patterns include built-in deterministic and pseudorandom patterns, along with custom user-defined test patterns entered via the serial port interface (SPI).
A differential clock input controls all internal conversion cycles. An optional duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent overall ADC performance.
The digital output data is presented in offset binary, gray code, or twos complement format. A data output clock (DCO) is provided for each ADC channel to ensure proper latch timing with receiving logic. Both 1.8 V and 3.3 V CMOS levels are supported, and output data can be multiplexed onto a single output bus.
The AD9231 is available in a 64-lead RoHS compliant LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range (−40°C to +85°C).
- The AD9231 operates from a single 1.8 V analog power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 1.8 V to 3.3 V logic families.
- The patented sample-and-hold circuit maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 200 MHz and is designed for low cost, low power, and ease of use.
- A standard serial port interface supports various product features and functions, such as data output formatting, internal clock divider, power-down, DCO/DATA timing and offset adjustments, and voltage reference modes.
- The AD9231 is packaged in a 64-lead RoHS compliant LFCSP that is pin compatible with the AD9268 16-bit ADC, the AD9258 14-bit ADC, the AD9251 14-bit ADC, and the AD9204 10-bit ADC, enabling a simple migration path between 10-bit and 16-bit converters sampling from 20 MSPS to 125 MSPS.
- Diversity radio systems
- Multimode digital receivers
GSM, EDGE, W-CDMA, LTE, CDMA2000, WiMAX, TD-SCDMA
- I/Q demodulation systems
- Smart antenna systems
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand held scope meters
- Portable medical imaging
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating the AD9231.
The AD9231-80EBZ is an evaluation board for the AD9231, dual 12-bit ADC. This reference design provides all of the support circuitry to operate devices in their various modes and configurations. It is designed to interface directly with the HSC-ADC-EVALCZ data capture card, allowing users to download captured data for analysis. The Visual Analog software package, which is used to interface with the device's hardware, allows users to download captured data for analysis with a user-friendly graphical interface. The SPI controller software package is also compatible with this hardware and allows the user to access the SPI programmable features of the AD9231.
The AD9231 data sheet provides additional information related to device configuration and performance and should be consulted when using these tools. All documents and Visual Analog and SPI Controller are available at the High Speed ADC Evaluation Boards page. For additional information or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD9650/AD9268/AD9258/AD9251/AD9231/AD9204/AD9269/AD6659
- SPI interface for setup and control
- External, on-board oscillator, or AD9517 clocking options
- Balun/transformer or amplifier input drive options
- LDO regulator or switching power supply options
- VisualAnalog® and SPI controller software interfaces
The HSC-ADC-EVALCZ high speed converter evaluation platform uses an FPGA based buffer memory board to capture blocks of digital data from the Analog Devices high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC) evaluation boards. The board is connected to the PC through a USB port and is used with VisualAnalog® to quickly evaluate the performance of high speed ADCs. The evaluation kit is easy to set up. Additional equipment needed includes an Analog Devices high speed ADC evaluation board, a signal source, and a clock source. Once the kit is connected and powered, the evaluation is enabled instantly on the PC.
Features & Benefits
- 64kB FIFO Depth
- Works with single and multi-channel ADCs
- Use with VisualAnalog® software
- Based on Virtex-4 FPGA
- May require adaptor to interface with some ADC eval boards
- Allows programming of SPI control Up to 644 MSPS SDR / 800MSPS DDR Encode Rates on each channel
- DDR Encode Rates on each channel
Application Notes (8)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9231 IBIS Models
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9231 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.