Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V supply operation
- Low power: 164 mW per channel at 125 MSPS with scalable power options
- SNR = 76.5 dBFS @ 70 MHz (2.0Vp-p input span)
- SNR = 77.5 dBFS @ 70 MHz (2.6Vp-p Input span)
- SFDR = 90 dBc (to Nyquist)
- DNL = ±0.7 LSB (typical); INL = ±3.5 LSB (typical)
- Serial LVDS (ANSI-644, default) and low power, reduced signal option (similar to IEEE 1596.3)
- 650 MHz full power analog bandwidth
- 2 V p-p input voltage range (supports up to 2.6 V p-p)
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD9653 is a quad, 16-bit, 125 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with an on-chip sample-and-hold circuit designed for low cost, low power, small size, and ease of use. The product operates at a conversion rate of up to 125 MSPS and is optimized for outstanding dynamic performance and low power in applications where a small package size is critical.
The ADC requires a single 1.8 V power supply and LVPECL-/ CMOS-/LVDS-compatible sample rate clock for full performance operation. No external reference or driver components are required for many applications.
The ADC automatically multiplies the sample rate clock for the appropriate LVDS serial data rate. A data clock output (DCO) for capturing data on the output and a frame clock output (FCO) for signaling a new output byte are provided. Individual-channel power-down is supported and typically consumes less than 2 mW when all channels are disabled. The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as programmable output clock and data alignment and digital test pattern generation. The available digital test patterns include built-in deterministic and pseudorandom patterns, along with custom user-defined test patterns entered via the serial port interface (SPI).
The AD9653 is available in a RoHS-compliant, 48-lead LFCSP. It is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- Small Footprint. Four ADCs are contained in a small, space-saving package.
- Low power of 163 mW/channel at 125 MSPS with scalable power options.
- Pin compatible to the AD9253 14-bit quad and AD9633 12-bit quad ADC.
- Ease of Use. A data clock output (DCO) operates at frequencies of up to 500 MHz and supports double data rate (DDR) operation.
- User Flexibility. The SPI control offers a wide range of flexible features to meet specific system requirements
- Medical ultrasound and MRI
- High speed imaging
- Quadrature radio receivers
- Diversity radio receivers
- Test equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The AD9653-125EBZ is an evaluation board for the AD9653, quad 16-bit ADC. This reference design provides all of the support circuitry required to operate the devices in their various modes and configurations. It is designed to interface directly with the HSC-ADC-EVALC data capture card, allowing users to download captured data for analysis. The Visual Analog software package, which is used to interface with the device's hardware, allows users to download captured data for analysis with a user-friendly graphical interface. The SPI Controller software package is also compatible with this hardware, and allows the user to access the SPI programmable features of the AD9653. User guide UG-328 provides documentation and instructions to configure the device for performance evaluation in the lab. (Wiki Site)
The AD9653 data sheet provides additional information related to device configuration and performance, and should be consulted when using these tools. All documents and Visual Analog and SPI Controller are available at the High Speed ADC Evaluation Boards page. For additional information or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The HSC-ADC-EVALCZ high speed converter evaluation platform uses an FPGA based buffer memory board to capture blocks of digital data from the Analog Devices high speed analog-to-digital converter (ADC) evaluation boards. The board is connected to the PC through a USB port and is used with VisualAnalog® to quickly evaluate the performance of high speed ADCs. The evaluation kit is easy to set up. Additional equipment needed includes an Analog Devices high speed ADC evaluation board, a signal source, and a clock source. Once the kit is connected and powered, the evaluation is enabled instantly on the PC.
Features & Benefits
- 64kB FIFO Depth
- Works with single and multi-channel ADCs
- Use with VisualAnalog® software
- Based on Virtex-4 FPGA
- May require adaptor to interface with some ADC eval boards
- Allows programming of SPI control Up to 644 MSPS SDR / 800MSPS DDR Encode Rates on each channel
- DDR Encode Rates on each channel
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9653 IBIS Model
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9653 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
- For low jitter performance along with on chip PLL and VCO: AD9523, AD9523-1, AD9524.
- For low jitter performance: AD9510, AD9511, AD9512, AD9513, AD9514, AD9515.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.