Features and Benefits
- Low power: 55 mW per channel at 65 MSPS with scalable power options
- SNR = 75.5 dB (to Nyquist)
- SFDR = 91.6 dBc (to Nyquist)
- DNL = ±0.6 LSB (typical), INL = ±1.1 LSB (typical)
- Serial LVDS (ANSI-644, default)
- Low power, reduced signal option (similar to IEEE 1596.3) Data and frame clock outputs
- See data sheet for additional features
- Download AD9257-EP Data Sheet (pdf)
- Military temperature range (−55°C to +125°C)
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/14637 DSCC Drawing Number
Product DetailsThe AD9257 is an octal, 14-bit, 40 MSPS and 65 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with an on-chip sample-and-hold circuit designed for low cost, low power, small size, and ease of use. The product operates at a conversion rate of up to 65 MSPS and is optimized for outstanding dynamic performance and low power in applications where a small package size is critical.
The ADC requires a single 1.8 V power supply and LVPECL-/ CMOS-/LVDS-compatible sample rate clock for full performance operation. No external reference or driver components are required for many applications.
The ADC automatically multiplies the sample rate clock for the appropriate LVDS serial data rate. A data clock output (DCO) for capturing data on the output and a frame clock output (FCO) for signaling a new output byte are provided. Individual channel power-down is supported and typically consumes less than 2 mW when all channels are disabled.
The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as programmable clock and data alignment and programmable digital test pattern generation. The available digital test patterns include built-in deterministic and pseudorandom patterns, along with custom user-defined test patterns entered via the serial port interface (SPI).
The AD9257 is available in an RoHS-compliant, 64-lead LFCSP. It is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C. This product is protected by a U.S. patent.
- Medical imaging and nondestructive ultrasound
- Portable ultrasound and digital beam-forming systems
- Quadrature radio receivers
- Diversity radio receivers
- Optical networking
- Test Equipment
- Small Footprint. Eight ADCs are contained in a small, space-saving package.
- Low Power of 55 mW/Channel at 65 MSPS with Scalable Power Options.
- Ease of Use. A data clock output (DCO) is provided that operates at frequencies of up to 455 MHz and supports double data rate (DDR) operation.
- User Flexibility. The SPI control offers a wide range of flexible features to meet specific system requirements.
- Pin Compatible with the AD9637 (12-Bit Octal ADC).
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating the AD9257.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD9257
- SPI interface for setup and control
- External, on-board oscillator, or AD9517 clocking option
- Balun/transformer or amplifier input drive option
- On-board LDO regulator or switching regulator, needing a single external 6V, 2A dc supply
- VisualAnalog® and SPI controller software interfaces
Application Notes (16)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9257 IBIS Model
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9257 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
- For low jitter performance along with on chip PLL and VCO: AD9523, AD9523-1, AD9524.
- For low jitter performance: AD9510, AD9511, AD9512, AD9513, AD9514, AD9515.
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.