Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Insertion into Live Backplane
- 8-Bit ADC Monitors Current and Voltage
- I2C/SMBus Interface
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 2.9V to 15V
- 20μs (LTC4215) or 420μs (LTC4215-2) Circuit Breaker Timeout
- dI/dt Controlled Soft-Start
- High Side Drive for External N-Channel MOSFET
- No External Gate Capacitor Required
- Input Overvoltage/Undervoltage Protection
- Optional Latch-off or Auto-Retry After Faults
- Alerts Host After Faults
- Inrush Current Limit with Foldback
- Available in 24-Pin (4mm × 5mm) QFN Package
- LTC4215 also available in 16-Lead Narrow SSOP Package
The LTC4215/LTC4215-2 Hot Swap™ controllers allow a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. Using an external N-channel pass transistor, board supply voltage and inrush current are ramped up at an adjustable rate. An I2C interface and onboard ADC allow for monitoring of load current, voltage and fault status.
The device features adjustable foldback current limit and a soft-start pin that sets the dI/dt of the inrush current. An I2C interface may configure the part to latch-off or automatically restart after the LTC4215 detects a current limit fault.
The controller has additional features to interrupt the host when a fault has occurred, notify when output power is good, detect insertion of a load card, and power-up either automatically upon insertion or wait for an I2C command to turn on.
The LTC4215 has a 20μs circuit breaker filter for applications that require a fast fault response time and it defaults to latch-off after an overcurrent fault. The LTC4215-2 has an extended 420μs circuit breaker filter for applications where supply transients may exceed 20μs and it defaults to restart automatically after an overcurrent fault.
|Circuit Breaker Timeout||General Purpose Outputs|
- Live Board Insertion
- Electronic Circuit Breakers
- Computers, Servers
- Platform Management
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Linduino is Analog Devices’ Arduino compatible system for developing and distributing firmware libraries and example code for our integrated circuits. Each Linduino-supported product includes an example main program, defined in the LTSketchbook/Part Number folder and driver code, defined in the LTSketchbook/libraries folder.
Reference Designs (1)
Terasic DE10-Nano Kit
Terasic DE10-Nano Kit
Features & Benefits
- Analog Devices has worked closely with FPGA and processor manufacturers to develop verified power solutions that optimize cost, size and efficiency in high performance applications
- Our reference designs are supported by an intuitive design tool set and IP
- Our team can provide designs for quick prototypes that can speed time to market in the most complex applications
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (4)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.