Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Insertion Into a Live Backplane
- 10-Bit ADC Monitors Currents and Voltages
- I2C/SMBus Interface
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 2.9V to 29V
- dI/dt Controlled Soft-Start
- High Side Drive for External N-Channel MOSFETs
- No External Gate Capacitors Required
- Input Overvoltage/Undervoltage Protection
- Optional Latchoff or Auto-Retry After Faults
- Alert Host After Faults
- Inrush Current Limit with Foldback
- Available in 32-Pin (5mm × 5mm) QFN and 36-Pin SSOP Packages
The LTC4222 Hot Swap™ controller allows two power paths to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. Using external N-channel pass transistors, board supply voltages and inrush currents are ramped up at an adjustable rate. An I2C interface and on-board ADC allows for monitoring of current, voltage and fault status for each channel.
The device features adjustable, analog, foldback current limit circuits and a Soft-Start circuit that sets the dI/dt of the inrush currents. An I2C interface may configure the part to latch off or automatically restart after the LTC4222 detects a fault on either channel.
The controller has additional features to interrupt the host when a fault has occurred, notify when output power is good, detect insertion of a load card and power-up either automatically upon insertion or wait for an I2C command to turn on.
- Live Board Insertion
- Electronic Circuit Breakers
- Computers, Servers
- Platform Management
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Reference Designs (1)
Terasic DE10-Nano Kit
Terasic DE10-Nano Kit
Features & Benefits
- Analog Devices has worked closely with FPGA and processor manufacturers to develop verified power solutions that optimize cost, size and efficiency in high performance applications
- Our reference designs are supported by an intuitive design tool set and IP
- Our team can provide designs for quick prototypes that can speed time to market in the most complex applications
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.