Features and Benefits
- 50 MHz – 1000 MHz RF input range
- Integrated 45 dB linear-in-dB VGA IF amplifier
- Integrated baseband output amplifiers
- Demodulation bandwidth 75 MHz
- Quadrature phase accuracy 0.5°
- Amplitude balance 0.25 dB
- Third order intercept IIP3
+28 dBm (min gain)
- Noise figure 11 dB (max gain)
- Low LO drive –10 dBm
- Single supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V with power down
The AD8348 is a broadband quadrature demodulator with an integrated intermediate frequency (IF), variable gain amplifier (VGA), and integrated baseband amplifiers. It is suitable for use in communications receivers, performing quadrature demodulation from IF directly to baseband frequencies. The baseband amplifiers are designed to interface directly with dual-channel ADCs, such as the AD9201, AD9283, and AD9218, for digitizing and post-processing.
The IF input signal is fed into two Gilbert cell mixers through an X-AMP® VGA. The IF VGA provides 44 dB of gain control. A precision gain control circuit sets a linear-in-decibel gain characteristic for the VGA and provides temperature compensation. The LO quadrature phase splitter employs a divide-by-2 frequency divider to achieve high quadrature accuracy and amplitude balance over the entire operating frequency range.
The AD8348 is fabricated on an advanced bipolar process, operating on a single 3 or 5 volt supply, packaged in space saving 28 lead thin shrunk small outline (TSSOP) package and fully specified over the –40 to +85 C temperature range
Samples AD8348ARU and evaluation boards AD8348-EVAL are available
Other Modulator/Demodulator products
- AD8345 250MHz – 1GHz RF/IF Modulator
- AD8346 800MHz – 2.5GHz Modulator
- AD8347 800MHz – 2.7GHz Demodulator
- AD8349 700MHz – 2.7GHz Modulator
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
AD8348-EVALZ is a fully populated, 4-layer, FR4-based evaluation board designed to allow easy evaluation of all features of the AD8348. The evaluation board integrates a prototype area for a filter design at the mixer outputs, SMA connectors to and from AD8348 with optimized trace routing for improved signal integrity, and requires only a single supply within the range of 2.7 V to 5.5 V.
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
AD8348 Companion Parts
Recommended Baseband Driver Amplifiers
- For selectable gains of 1, 2 or 3: ADA4950-1, ADA4950-2.
- For a differential RF/IF amplifier: ADL5562, ADL5565.
- For a digital programmable VGA: AD8366.
- For low noise drivers in low voltage (1.8V) ADC applications: ADA4930-1, ADA4930-2.
- For variable gain and programmable baseband filters: ADRF6510, ADRF6516.
Recommended Dual Analog-to-Digital Converters
- For 14-bit performance, low power and high sampling rate: AD9258, AD9251.
- For 16-bit performance, low power and high sampling rate: AD9268, AD9650.
- For 12-bit performance, low power, low cost and ease of use: AD9231.
- For 16-bit performance, multistage differential pipeline architecture with integrated quadrature error correction (QEC): AD9269.
- For 16-bit performance, continuous time sigma delta architecture with integrated QEC: AD9262.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.