Features and Benefits
- Throughput: 1 MSPS
- INL: ±0.4 LSB maximum
- Guaranteed 16-bit no missing codes
- Low power
- 9.5 mW at 2 MSPS (VDD only)
- 80 μW at 10 kSPS
- 16 mW at 2 MSPS (total)
- SNR: 96.2 dB typical at 1 kHz, VREF = 5V; 95.5 dB typical at 100 kHz
- THD: −123 dB typical at 1 kHz, VREF = 5V; −99 dB typical at 100 kHz
- Ease of use features reduce system power and complexity
- Input overvoltage clamp circuit
- Reduced nonlinear input charge kickback
- High-Z mode
- Long acquisition phase
- Input span compression
- Fast conversion time allows low SPI clock rates
- SPI-programmable modes, read/write capability, status word
- Differential analog input range: ±VREF
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.4 V to 5.1 V
- Single 1.8 V supply operation with 1.71 V to 5.5 V logic interface
- SAR architecture: no latency/pipeline delay, valid first conversion
- First accurate conversion
- Guaranteed operation: −40°C to 125°C
- Serial interface SPI-/QSPI-/MICROWIRE-/DSP-compatible
- Ability to daisy-chain multiple ADCs and busy indicator
- 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP and 10-lead, 3 mm × 4.90 mm MSOP
The AD4005 is a low noise, low power, high speed, 16-bit, precision successive approximation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The AD4005 offers a 1 MSPS throughput. It incorporates ease of use features that reduce signal chain power consumption, reduce signal chain complexity, and enable higher channel density. The high-Z mode, coupled with a long acquisition phase, eliminates the need for a dedicated high power, high speed ADC driver, thus broadening the range of low power precision amplifiers that can drive these ADCs directly, while still achieving optimum performance. The input span compression feature enables the ADC driver amplifier and the ADC to operate off common supply rails without the need for a negative supply while preserving the full ADC code range. The low serial peripheral interface (SPI) clock rate requirement reduces the digital input/output power consumption, broadens processor options, and simplifies the task of sending data across digital isolation.
Operating from a 1.8 V supply, the AD4005 has a ±VREF fully differential input range with VREF ranging from 2.4 V to 5.1 V. The AD4005 consumes only 8 mW at 1 MSPS. The AD4005 achieves ±0.4 LSB integral nonlinearity error (INL) maximum, guaranteed no missing codes at 16 bits with 96.2 dB typical signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) for 1 kHz inputs. The reference voltage is applied externally and can be set independently of the supply voltage.
The SPI-compatible, versatile serial interface features seven different modes including the ability, using the SDI input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus, and provides an optional busy indicator. The AD4005 iscompatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic, using the separate VIO supply.
The AD4005 is available in a 10-lead MSOP or LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C. The device is pin compatible with the 18-bit, 2 MSPS AD4003.
- Automatic test equipment
- Machine automation
- Medical equipment
- Battery-powered equipment
- Precision data acquisition systems
Markets & Technology
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Aerospace and Defense
- Instrumentation & Measurement
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 family of evaluation boards enable quick, simplified evaluation of the AD4000 family of 16-/18-/20-bit, precision successive approx-imation register (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). The AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 are low power, 16-bit/18-bit/20-bit, precision SAR ADCs that offer high performance with throughputs up to 2 MSPS (1.8 MSPS for the AD4020). The evaluation board demonstrates the performance of the AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 family of ADCs and provides a simplified interface for a variety of system applications.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ/EVAL-AD4001FMCZ/EVAL-AD4002FMCZ/EVAL-AD4003FMCZ/EVAL-AD4020FMCZ evaluation boards, accessible from the EVAL-AD400x-FMCZ product page, are ideal for use with the Analog Devices, Inc., high speed system demonstration platform (SDP-H1). These evaluation boards interface to the SDP-H1 board via a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) mezzanine card (FMC) low pin count (LPC) connector.
On-board components include a high precision buffered band gap 5.0 V reference (ADR4550), a reference buffer (ADA4807-1), a common-mode buffer (ADA4807-1), a signal conditioning circuit with two op amps (ADA4807-1), and a power supply to derive the necessary voltage levels to supply all voltage needs.
The EVAL-AD4000FMCZ, EVAL-AD4001FMCZ, EVAL-AD4002FMCZ, EVAL-AD4003FMCZ, and EVAL-AD4020FMCZ are populated with the AD4000, AD4001, AD4002, AD4003, and AD4020, respectively. However, these boards can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004, AD4005, AD4006, AD4007, AD4008, AD4010, AD4011, AD4021, and AD4022 by limiting the sample rate in the evaluation software to the maximum sample rate of the specific ADC. For example, the AD4000 on the EVAL-AD4000FMCZ can be used to evaluate the performance of the AD4004 if the sample rate is limited to 1 MSPS. See the data sheet of each product for the corresponding evaluation board.
Full descriptions of these products are available in their respective data sheets, which must be consulted when using the corresponding evaluation board. Table 7 shows the models of the AD4000/AD4001/AD4002/AD4003/AD4020 evaluation boards.
Features & Benefits
- Fully featured evaluation board for 10-lead precision ADCs
- Versatile analog signal conditioning circuitry
- On-board reference, reference buffers, and ADC drivers
- PC software for control and data analysis of time and frequency domain
- System demonstration platform-compatible (SDP-H1)
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD4005 Companion Parts
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications: ADA4897-1, ADA4932-1.
- For low input bias current, low noise applications: ADA4610-1.
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications: ADA4807-1, ADA4940-1.
- For precision, lowest power applications: ADA4096-2, ADA4692-2, ADA4077-1, ADA4084-1.
Recommended External Voltage References
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.