- 2-Phase Operation Reduces Required Input and Output Capacitance and Power Supply Induced Noise
- Synchronous Operation for Highest Efficiency and Reduced Heat Dissipation
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 4.5V to 40V, Operates Down to 1V After Start-Up
- Output Voltage Up to 40V
- Low Operating Quiescent Current: 18μA
- PassThru™ Operation: 100% Duty Cycle Capability for Synchronous MOSFET
- RSENSE or Inductor DCR Current Sensing
- Spread Spectrum Operation
- Programmable Fixed Frequency (100kHz to 3MHz)
- Phase-Lockable Frequency (100kHz to 3MHz)
- Selectable Continuous, Pulse-Skipping, or Low Ripple Burst Mode® Operation at Light Loads
- Input Current Monitor Output
- Internal LDO Powers Gate Drive from VBIAS or EXTVCC
- Low Shutdown IQ: 1.5μA
- Side Wettable 28-Lead 4mm × 5mm QFN Package
- AEC-Q100 Automotive Qualification in Process
The LTC7806 is a high performance 2-phase single output synchronous boost converter controller that drives two N-channel power MOSFET stages out-of-phase. Its constant-frequency current mode architecture allows a phase-lockable switching frequency of up to 3MHz. High frequency 2-phase operation reduces input and output capacitor requirements and allows the use of smaller inductors compared to the single-phase equivalent. Synchronous rectification increases efficiency, reduces power losses, and eases thermal requirements, simplifying high power boost applications. The synchronous PassThru capability also minimizes losses in automotive start-stop applications.
The LTC7806 operates from a wide 4.5V to 40V input supply range. When biased from the boost converter output, the LTC7806 can operate from an input supply as low as 1V after start-up. The very low no-load quiescent current extends operating run time in battery powered systems. OPTI-LOOP® compensation allows the transient response to be optimized over a wide range of output capacitance and ESR values. The LTC7806 features a precision 1.2V reference, a power good output indicator, and an inductor current monitor.
- Automotive and Transportation
- Audio and RF Power Amplifiers
- Industrial and Medical
Demonstration circuit 2951A is a boost regulator featuring the LTC7806. The DC2951A operates from a 6V to 36V input voltage range and generates 24V, 10A output from a 12V input. When VIN ≥ 24V, VOUT follows VIN. Also, the LTC7806 has precision voltage reference, which can generate an output voltage with 2% tolerance over the full operating conditions. The 350kHz switching frequency operation results in small and efficient circuit. The converter achieves over 95% efficiency with 10A load. The demonstration circuit can be easily modified to regulate different output voltages.
The DC2951A provides a high performance cost-effective solution for generating output voltages up to 36V from inputs as low as 5V.
The LTC7806 data sheet gives a complete description of this part, its operation and application information and must be read in conjunction with the demo manual.