- Withstands Surge Voltages Up to 100V
- Internal 9mΩ N-Channel MOSFET
- Guaranteed Safe Operating Area: 20ms at 70V, 1A
- Low Quiescent Current: 6μA Operating
- Operates Through Automobile Cold Crank
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 4V to 72V
- Overcurrent Protection
- Selectable Internal 28.5V/47V or Adjustable Output Clamp Voltage
- Reverse Input Protection to –60V
- Adjustable Turn-On Threshold
- Adjustable Fault Timer with MOSFET Stress Acceleration
- Latchoff and Retry Options
- Low Retry Duty Cycle During Faults
- 32-Lead DFN (7mm × 5mm) Package
The LTC4381 is an integrated solution for low quiescent current surge stopper applications that protect loads from high voltage transients. Overvoltage protection is provided by clamping the gate voltage of an internal 9mΩ N-channel MOSFET to limit the output voltage to a safe value during overvoltage events such as load dump in automobiles. The MOSFET safe operating area is production tested and guaranteed for the stresses during high voltage transients. Fixed output clamp voltages are selectable for 12V and 24V/28V systems. For systems of any voltage up to 80V, use the adjustable clamp versions.
Overcurrent protection is also provided. An internal multiplier generates a TMR pin current proportional to VDS and ID, so that operating time in both overcurrent and overvoltage conditions is limited in accordance with MOSFET stress.
The GATE pin can drive back-to-back MOSFETs for reverse input protection, eliminating the voltage drop and dissipation of a Schottky diode solution. A low 6μA operating current permits use in always-on and battery powered applications.
- Automotive 12V, 24V and 48V System
- Avionic/Industrial Surge Protection
- Hot Swap/Live Insertion
- High Side Switch for Battery Powered Systems
- Automotive Load Dump Protection
The DC2713A circuit board enables evaluation of the LTC4381, low quiescent current surge stopper with 9mΩ MOSFET, in 12V to 48V applications. The LTC4381 clamps the output voltage, permitting the load to operate safely through 100V transients and load dump surges such as ISO 16750-2 Test A. Current limiting protects the input supply from output overload and short-circuits. In the presence of a sustained input overvoltage or output overload, the LTC4381 shuts off after a delay to protect the internal power MOSFET.
DC2713A is available in four assembly options, from DC2713A-A to DC2713A-D. DC2713A-A/DC2713A-B employ a jumper to set the output clamp voltage to either 28.5V or 47V, to suit 12V or 24V/28V systems. DC2713A-C/DC2713A-D clamp the output to 66.5V for 48V applications. DC2713A-A/DC2713A-C latch off after a fault, whereas DC2713A-B/DC2713A-D automatically restart after a cool down delay.