Features and Benefits
- Flexible, reconfigurable radio common platform design
- Transmitter/receiver channel bandwidth up to 1.2 GHz (4T4R)
- RF DAC/RF ADC RF frequency range up to 7.5 GHz
- On-chip PLL with multichip synchronization
- External RF clock input option
- Versatile digital features
- Selectable interpolation and decimation filters
- Configurable DDCs and DUCs
- 8 fine complex DUCs (FDUC) and 4 coarse complex DUCs (CDUC)
- 8 fine complex DDCs (FDDC) and 4 coarse complex DDCs (CDDC)
- FDUCs and FDDCs are fully bypassable
- 2 independent 48-bit NCOs per DUC or DDC
- Programmable 192-tap PFIR filter for receive equalization
- Supports 4 different profile settings loaded via GPIO
- Receive AGC support
- Fast detect with low latency for fast AGC control
- Signal monitor for slow AGC control
- Dedicated AGC support pins
- Transmit DPD support
- Programmable delay and gain per transmit data path
- Coarse DDC delay adjust for DPD observation path
- Supports real or complex digital data (8-, 12-, or 16-bit)
- Auxiliary features
- ADC clock driver with selectable divide ratios
- Power amplifier downstream protection circuitry
- On-chip temperature monitoring unit
- Programmable GPIO pins support toggling between modes
- TDD power savings option and sharing ADCs
- SERDES JESD204B or JESD204C interface, 16 lanes up to 24.75 Gbps
- 8 lanes JESD204B/C transmitter (JTx) and 8 lanes JESD204B/C receiver (JRx)
- Supports Subclass 1
- Supports multidevice synchronization
- 15 mm × 15 mm, 324-ball BGA with 0.8 mm pitch
The AD9988 is a highly integrated device with four 16-bit, 12 GSPS maximum sample rate, RF digital-to-analog converter (DAC) cores, and four 12-bit, 4 GSPS rate, RF analog-to-digital converter (ADC) cores. The device supports four transmitter channels and four receiver channels with a 4T4R configuration. This product is well suited for four-antenna TDD transmitter applications, where the receiver path can be shared between receiver and observation modes. The GPIO pins can be configured and toggled to support different user modes, while phase coherency is maintained. The maximum radio channel bandwidth supported is 1.2 GHz in a 4T4R configuration and a sample resolution of 16 bits. The AD9988 features a 16-lane 24.75 Gbps JESD204C or 15.5 Gbps JESD204B serial data port that allows up to eight lanes per transmit/receive link, an on-chip clock multiplier, and digital signal processing capability targeted at multiband direct to RF radio applications.
- Wireless communications infrastructure
- W-CDMA, LTE, LTE-A, massive multiple input multiple output (MIMO)
- Point to point microwave, E-band, and 5G mmWave
- Broadband communications systems
- DOCSIS 3.0+ cable modem termination system (CMTS)
- Communication test and measurement systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The user guide describes the AD9081-FMCA-EBZ, AD9082-FMCA-EBZ, AD9986-FMCB-EBZ, and AD9988-FMCB-EBZ evaluation boards, which provide all of the support circuitry required to operate the AD9081, AD9082, AD9986, AD9988, AD9207, AD9209, or AD9177 in their various modes and configurations. The application software used to interface with the devices is also described. These evaluation boards connect to the Analog Devices, Inc., ADS9-V2EBZ for evaluation with the ACE software.
These evaluation boards can also interface to commercially available field-programmable gate array (FPGA) development boards from Xilinx® or Intel®. Information on how to use these platforms to evaluate the AD9081 or the AD9082 is available in the Using the AD-FMC-SDCARD section.
The ACE software allows the user to set up the MxFE® in various modes and to capture analog-to-digital converter(ADC) data for analysis. The DPGDownloaderLite software (included in ACE installation) generates and transmits vectors to the digital-to-analog converters (DACs), which can then be sent to a spectrum analyzer for further analysis.
For additional information, see the AD9081, AD9082, AD9986, AD9988, AD9207, AD9209, or AD9177 data sheets and the UG-1578, the device user guide, which must be consulted in conjunction with the user guide when using the evaluation boards.
When connected to a specified Analog Devices high speed converter evaluation board, the ADS9-V2EBZ works as a data capture/transmit board. Designed to support the highest speed JESD204B/C data converters, the FPGA on the ADS9-V2EBZ acts as the data receiver for high speed ADC's, and as the transmitter for high speed DAC's.
Features & Benefits
Xilinx Kintex Ultrascale+ XCKU15P-2FFVE1517E FPGA.
- One (1) FMC+ connector.
- Twenty (20) 28Gbps transceivers supported by one (1) FMC+ connector.
- HMC DRAM
- Simple USB 3.0 port interface.
- Two micro SD cards are included, "TRX" -- for ADRV9026 evaluation boards and "HSX" -- for MxFE™ evaluation boards.
Software & Systems Requirements
API Device Drivers
Device Application Programming Interface (API) C code drivers provided as reference code that allows the user to quickly configure the product using high-level function calls. The library acts as an abstraction layer between the application and the hardware. The API is developed in C99 to ensure agnostic processor and operating system integration. Customers can port this application layer code to their embedded systems by integrating their platform-specific code base to the API HAL layer.
To request this software package, go to the Software Request Form signed in with your MyAnalog account and under “Target Hardware” select “High Speed Data Converters” and choose the desired API product package. You will receive an email notification once the software is provided to you.
Tools & Simulations
Software and Simulation
The JESD204B/C Mode Selector Tool is a simple command line-based Windows executable that can be used to narrow down the number of JESD204x modes to only include those modes that support the user’s specific application use case. The tool guides the user through a use case description flow chart and gives the user a small list of applicable transmit and/or receive modes to choose from. This tool is applicable to the AD9081, AD9082, AD9177, AD9207, AD9209, AD9986, and AD9988.
This command line executable tool generates a Verilog module which implements the JESD204 receive transport layer. The user specifies in a configuration file one or more modes to be supported by the transport layer module. These modes are defined as a set of JESD204 parameter values: L, M, F, S, N', and CF. The transport layer converts JESD204 lane data output from a JESD204 link layer IP to a data bus with a fixed width, containing interleaved virtual converter samples. Both JESD204B and JESD204C link layers are supported.
The JESD204x Frame Mapping Table Generator tool consists of two Windows executables that will allow the user to input any valid combination of JESD204x parameters (L, M, F, S, NP) in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of the JESD204x mode in table format. There is an executable that allows the user to input a single JESD204x mode and another, that allows the user to input the parameters for multiple JESD204x modes in a specified .csv format in order to output a .csv file that illustrates the frame mapping of each of the JESD204x modes that were input into separate tables.
AD9988 Companion Parts
Recommended Power Products
- For a low noise linear regulators: ADP1765, ADP7158, ADM7172, ADM7150.
DC-to-DC switching regulators:
Recommended Clock Distribution Device
Recommended Clock Generation Device
Recommended RF Amplifiers
3rd Party Solutions (1)
Product Selection Guide (1)
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.