Features and Benefits
- Download ADM7172-KGD Data Sheet. Available as Known Good Die and fully guaranteed to data sheet specifications.
- Input voltage range: 2.3 V to 6.5 V
- Maximum load current: 2 A
- Low noise: 5 µV rms independent of output voltage at 100 Hz to 100 kHz
- Fast transient response: 1.5 μs for 1 mA to 1.5 A load step
- 60 dB PSRR at 100 kHz
- Low dropout voltage: 172 mV at 2 A load, VOUT = 3 V
- Initial accuracy: −0.5% (minimum), +1% (maximum)
- Accuracy over line, load, and temperature: ±1.5%
- Quiescent current, IGND = 0.7 mA with no load
- Low shutdown current: 0.25 μA at VIN = 5 V
- Stable with small 4.7 µF ceramic output capacitor
- Adjustable and fixed output voltage options: 1.2 V to 5.0 V
- Adjustable output from 1.2 V to VIN − VDO
- Precision enable
- Adjustable soft start
- 8-lead 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP package
- Supported by ADIsimPower™ tool
The ADM7172 is a CMOS, low dropout linear regulator (LDO) that operates from 2.3 V to 6.5 V and provides up to 2 A of output current. This high output current LDO is ideal for regulation of high performance analog and mixed-signal circuits operating from 6 V down to 1.2 V rails. Using an advanced proprietary architecture, the device provides high power supply rejection and low noise, and achieves excellent line and load transient response with just a small 4.7 µF ceramic output capacitor. Load transient response is typically 1.5 μs for a 1 mA to 1.5 A load step.
The ADM7172 is available in 17 fixed output voltage options. The following voltages are available from stock: 1.3 V, 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3.0 V, 3.3 V, 4.2 V, and 5.0 V. Additional voltages that are available by special order are: 1.5 V, 1.85 V, 2.0 V, 2.2 V, 2.7 V, 2.75 V, 2.8 V, 2.85 V, 3.8 V, and 4.6 V. An adjustable version is also available that allows output voltages that range from 1.2 V to VIN − VDO with an external feedback divider.
Inrush current can be controlled by adjusting the start-up time via the soft start pin. The typical start-up time with a 1 nF soft start capacitor is 1.0 ms.
The ADM7172 regulator output noise is 5 μV rms, independent of the output voltage. The ADM7172 is available in an 8-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP, making it not only a very compact solution, but also providing excellent thermal performance for applications requiring up to 2 A of output current in a small, low profile footprint.
- Regulation to noise sensitive applications: ADC and DAC circuits, precision amplifiers, PLLs/VCOs, and clocking ICs
- Communications and infrastructure
- Medical and healthcare
- Industrial and instrumentation
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADM7170ACP-EVALZ/ADM717Q1CP-EVALZ/ ADM7172ACP-EVALZ is an evaluation board used to demonstrate the functionality of the ADM7170, ADM7171, and ADM7172 linear regulators.
Simple device measurements, such as line and load regulation, dropout, and ground current, can be demonstrated with just a single voltage source, a voltmeter, an ammeter, and load resistors.
Features & Benefits
- Input voltage range: 2.3 V to 6.5 V
- Output current range: 0 mA to 2 A (500 mA for ADM7170, 1 A for ADM7171, 2 A for ADM7172)
- Output voltage accuracy: ±0.75% for ADM7170, −0.5%/+1% for ADM7171/ADM7172
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- Output voltage can also be adjusted up with two external resistors from any fixed output voltage option
- VOUT = VOUT(FIXED) × (1 + R1/R2)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
Microsoft Excel download tool from ADIsimPower to generate a power supply design complete with a schematic, bill of materials, and performance specifications.
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (2)
Analog Dialogue (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.