Features and Benefits
- Complete Step-Down Switch Mode Power Supply
- Low Noise Silent Switcher® Architecture
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 3.4V to 40V
- Wide Output Voltage Range: 0.97V to 15V
- 3.5A Continuous Output Current at 12VIN, 5VOUT, TA = 85°C
- 6A Peak Output Current
- Parallelable for Increased Output Current
- Selectable Switching Frequency: 200kHz to 3MHz
- Tiny, Low Profile 6.25mm × 9mm × 3.32mm RoHS Compliant BGA Package
The LTM8053 is a 40VIN, 3.5A continuous, 6A peak step-down µModule® (power module) regulator. Included in the package are the switching controller, power switches, inductor, and all support components. Operating over an input voltage range of 3.4V to 40V, the LTM8053 / LTM8053- 1 supports an output voltage range of 0.97V to 15V and a switching frequency range of 200kHz to 3MHz, each set by a single resistor. Only the input and output filter capacitors are needed to finish the design. The LTM8053-1 can operate in forced continuous mode.
The low profile package enables utilization of unused space on the bottom of PC boards for high density point of load regulation. The LTM8053 / LTM8053-1 is packaged in a thermally enhanced, compact over-molded ball grid array (BGA) package suitable for automated assembly by standard surface mount equipment. The LTM8053 / LTM8053-1 is RoHS compliant.
- Automotive Battery Regulation
- Power for Portable Products
- Distributed Supply Regulation
- Industrial Supplies
- Wall Transformer Regulation
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The Quad-MxFE System Development Platform contains four MxFE® software defined, direct RF sampling transceivers, as well as associated RF front-ends, clocking, and power circuitry. The target application is phased array radars, electronic warfare, and ground-based SATCOM, specifically a 16 transmit/16 receive channel direct sampling phased array at L/S/C band (0.1 GHz to ~5GHz). The Rx & Tx RF front-end has drop-in configurations that allow for customized frequency ranges, depending on the user’s application.
The Quad-MxFE System Development Platform highlights a complete system solution. It is intended as a testbed for demonstrating multi-chip synchronization as well as the implementation of system level calibrations, beamforming algorithms, and other signal processing algorithms. The system is designed to mate with a VCU118 Evaluation Board from Xilinx®, which features the Virtex® UltraScale+™ XCVU9P FPGA, with provided reference software, HDL code, and MATLAB system-level interfacing.
In addition to the Quad-MxFE Digitizing Card, the kit also contains a 16Tx / 16Rx Calibration Board that is used to develop system-level calibration algorithms, or otherwise more easily demonstrate power-up phase determinism in situations pertinent to their own use case. The Calibration Board also allows the user to demonstrate combined-channel dynamic range, spurious, and phase noise improvements and can also be controlled via a free MATLAB add-on when connected to the PMOD interface of the VCU118.
The system can be used to enable quick time-to-market development programs for applications like:
- ADEF (Phased-Array, RADAR, EW, SATCOM)
- Communications Infrastructure (Multiband 5G and mmWave 5G)
- Electronic Test and Measurement
Features & BenefitsQuad-MxFE Digitizing Card
- Multi-Channel, Wideband System Development Platform Using MxFE
- Mates With Xilinx VCU118 Evaluation Board (Not Included)
- 16x RF Receive (Rx) Channels (32x Digital Rx Channels)
- Total 16x 1.5GSPS to 4GSPS ADC
- 48x Digital Down Converters (DDCs), Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- 16x Programmable Finite Impulse Response Filters (pFIRs)
- 16x RF Transmit (Tx) Channels (32x Digital Tx Channels)
- Total 16x 3GSPS to 12GSPS DAC
- 48x Digital Up Converters (DUCs) , Each Including Complex Numerically-Controlled Oscillators (NCOs)
- Flexible Rx & Tx RF Front-Ends
- Rx: Filtering, Amplification, Digital Step Attenuation for Gain Control
- Tx: Filtering, Amplification
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
- Flexible Clock Distribution
- On-Board Clock Distribution from Single External 500MHz Reference
- Support for External Converter Clock per MxFE
- Mates to Quad-MxFE Digitizing Card & VCU118 PMOD Interface (Cable Included)
- Provides Both Individual Adjacent Channel Loopback and Combined Channel Loopback Options
- Combined Tx Channels Out Via SMA Option
- Combined Rx Channels In Via SMA Option
- On-Board Log Power Detectors With AD5592R Output To VCU118 Over PMOD
- On-Board Power Regulation from Single 12V Power Adapter (Included)
Easy Control Tools and Platform Interfaces to Simplify Software Framework Developments:
- IIO Oscilloscope GUI
- MATLAB Add-Ons & Example Scripts
- Example HDL Builds including JESD204b/JESD204c Bring-Up
- Embedded Software Solutions for Linux and Device Drivers
- MATLAB System Applications GUI
- Multi-Chip Synchronization for Power-Up Phase Determinism
- System-Level Amplitude/Phase Alignment Using NCOs
- Low-Latency ADC-to-DAC Loopback Bypassing JESD Interface
- pFIR Control for Broadband Channel-to-Channel Amplitude/Phase Alignment
- Fast-Frequency Hopping
- Calibration Board MATLAB Driver File
- FPGA Programming MATLAB Script
Demonstration circuit 1934A is a 40V, 3.5A step-down μModule® regulator featuring the LTM8053. The demo board is designed for 5V output from a 5.6V to 40V input. The wide input range allows a variety of input sources, such as automotive batteries and industrial supplies. The user adjustable features of the LTM8053 such as output voltage, switching frequency, soft-start, and power good can be changed on DC1934A simply by modifying the appropriate resistors and/or capacitors. Two or more LTM8053s can be paralleled to share load current equally.
Documentation & Resources
R598 Reliability Data3/26/201841 K
DC1934A - Demo Manual7/29/2016489K
Low EMI μModule Regulators6/22/2017327K
μModule Regulators for Analog Devices’ Processors and DSPs12/7/2016804K
High Voltage μModule Regulator Product Selection Guide4/26/2019670 K
Silent Switcher™ Technology by Analog Devices3/3/2022
Low Noise Silent Switcher μModule and LDO Regulators Improve Ultrasound Noise and Image Quality4/4/2022 Analog Dialogue
Is It Possible to Fit Low EMI Power Supplies onto Crowded Boards?9/1/2019 Analog Dialogue
Integration and Collaboration at the Heart of a High Performance Image Sensor Reference Design6/1/2019
Low EMI Power Solutions and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Standards5/30/2017
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
LTM8053 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|LTM8053EY#PBF||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead BGA (9mm x 6.25mm x 3.32mm)|
|LTM8053EY-1#PBF||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead BGA (9mm x 6.25mm x 3.32mm)|
|LTM8053IY#PBF||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead BGA (9mm x 6.25mm x 3.32mm)|
|LTM8053IY-1#PBF||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||48-Lead BGA (9mm x 6.25mm x 3.32mm)|
|Wafer Fabrication Data||R598 Reliability Data|
Select a model from the dropdown below to subscribe to PCN/PDN notifications and view past notifications as well.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.