Features and Benefits
- SNR = 78.3 dBFS @ 70 MHz and 125 MSPS
- SFDR = 93 dBc @ 70 MHz and 125 MSPS
- Low power: 371 mW @ 125 MSPS
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS output supply
- Integer 1-to-8 input clock divider
- IF sampling frequencies to 300 MHz
- −153.4 dBm/Hz small signal input noise with 200 Ω input impedance @ 70 MHz and 125 MSPS
- Optional on-chip dither
- Programmable internal ADC voltage reference
- Integrated ADC sample-and-hold inputs
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD9255 is a 14-bit, 125 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The AD9255 is designed to support communications applications where high performance combined with low cost, small size, and versatility is desired.
The ADC core features a multistage, differential pipelined architecture with integrated output error correction logic to provide 14-bit accuracy at 125 MSPS data rates and guarantees no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The ADC features a wide bandwidth differential sample-and-hold analog input amplifier supporting a variety of user-selectable input ranges. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. Combined with power and cost savings over previously available ADCs, the AD9255 is suitable for applications in communications, instrumentation, and medical imaging.
A differential clock input controls all internal conversion cycles. A duty cycle stabilizer provides the means to compensate for variations in the ADC clock duty cycle, allowing the converters to maintain excellent performance over a wide range of input clock duty cycles. An integrated voltage reference eases design considerations.
The ADC output data format is either parallel 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS (DDR). A data output clock is provided to ensure proper latch timing with receiving logic.
Programming for setup and control is accomplished using a 3-wire SPI-compatible serial interface. Flexible power-down options allow significant power savings, when desired. An optional on-chip dither function is available to improve SFDR performance with low power analog input signals.
The AD9255 is available in a Pb-free, 48-lead LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
- On-chip dither option for improved SFDR performance with low power analog input.
- Proprietary differential input that maintains excellent SNR performance for input frequencies up to 300 MHz.
- Operation from a single 1.8 V supply and a separate digital output driver supply accommodating 1.8 V CMOS or LVDS outputs.
- Standard serial port interface (SPI) that supports various product features and functions, such as data formatting (offset binary, twos complement, or gray coding), enabling the clock DCS, power-down, test modes, and voltage reference mode.
- Pin compatibility with the AD9265, allowing a simple migration up to 16 bits.
- Multimode digital receivers (3G)
GSM, EDGE, W-CDMA, LTE, CDMA2000, WiMAX, and TD-SCDMA
- Smart antenna systems
- General-purpose software radios
- Broadband data applications
- Ultrasound equipment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This page contains evaluation board documentation and ordering information for evaluating the AD9255.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD9255
- SPI interface for setup and control
- External, on-board oscillator or AD9517 clocking options
- Balun/transformer or amplifier input drive options
- LDO regulator or switching power supply options
- VisualAnalog® and SPI controller software interfaces
Application Notes (8)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9255 IBIS Models
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9255 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.