Features and Benefits
- 12-Bit ADC with Fast Conversion Time: 2 µs
- Two Single-Ended Analog Input Channels
- Specified for VDD of 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Low Power Consumption
- Fast Throughput Rate: - 188 kSPS
- Sequencer Operation
- Automatic Cycle Mode
- I2C® Compatible Serial Interface
- I2C® Interface supports:
Standard, Fast, and High-Speed Modes
- Out of Range Indicator
- Pin-Selectable Addressing via AS
- Automatic Shutdown Mode: - 1 µA max
The AD7992 is a 12-bit, low power, successive approximation ADC with an I2 C-compatible interface. The part operates from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply and features a 2 µs conversion time. The part contains a 2-channel multiplexer and track-and-hold amplifier that can handle input frequencies up to 11 MHz.
The AD7992 provides a 2-wire serial interface compatible with I2C interfaces. The part comes in two versions, the AD7992-0 and the AD7992-1, and each version allows for at least two different I2C addresses. The AD7992-0 supports standard and fast I2C interface modes, and the AD7992-1 supports standard, fast, and high speed I2C interface modes.
The AD7992 normally remains in a shutdown state while not converting, and powers up only for conversions. The conversion process can be controlled using the CONVST pin, by a command mode where conversions occur across I2C write operations, or an automatic conversion interval mode selected through software control.
The AD7992 requires an external reference in the range of 1.2 V to VDD. This allows the widest dynamic input range to the ADC. On-chip limit registers can be programmed with high and low limits for the conversion result, and an open-drain, out-of-range indicator output (ALERT) becomes active when the conversion result violates the programmed high or low limits. This output can be used as an interrupt.
- 2 µs conversion time and low power consumption.
- I2C-compatible serial interface with pin-selectable addresses. Two AD7992 versions allow five AD7992 devices to be connected to the same serial bus.
- The part features automatic shutdown while not converting to maximize power efficiency. Current consumption is 1 µA max when in shutdown mode at 3 V.
- Reference can be driven up to the power supply.
- Out-of-range indicator that can be software disabled or enabled.
- One-shot and automatic conversion rates.
- Registers store minimum and maximum conversion results.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7992EBZ is a fully featured evaluation Board for the AD7992. The evaluation board can be operated in complete standalone mode or connected to a PC via a standard USB interface. When operated with a PC, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board.
Please note: This Evaluation software does not run on Windows 8 or Windows 10 (USB driver is non-compliant with OS >Windows 7).
Software & Systems Requirements
Reference Designs (2)
AD7992 Companion Parts
Recommended External References - 2.5V
- For cost sensitive applications: AD1582, ADR381, ADR391.
- For applications requiring 2.048V to 4.096V: REF191.
- For wide supply applications: AD780, ADR03, AD780.
- For applications requiring best accuracy, low noise, low drift: ADR421, AD780, AD780.
- For the reference buffer amplifier: AD8605, AD8605.
- For low noise, high output current applications: ADR431.
Recommended Input Buffer Amplifiers
Technical Articles (3)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.