Features and Benefits
- Wide Input Range: Operation from 3.6V to 58V
- Overvoltage Lockout Protects Circuits Through 80V Transients
- 2A Maximum Output Current
- Low Ripple (<15mVP-P) Burst Mode® Operation: IQ = 85μA at 12VIN to 3.3VOUT
- Adjustable Switching Frequency: 100kHz to 2.4MHz
- Low Shutdown Current: IQ < 1μA
- Catch Diode Current Sense Protects Circuit Through Short-Circuit and Input Overvoltage
- Synchronizable Between 250kHz to 2MHz
- Power Good Flag
- Saturating Switch Design: 200mΩ On-Resistance
- Thermal Protection
- Soft-Start Capability
- Small 16-Pin Thermally Enhanced MSOP and 3mm × 4mm DFN Packages
The LT3980 is an adjustable frequency (100kHz to 2.4MHz) monolithic buck switching regulator that accepts input voltages up to 58V (80V transient). A high efficiency 200mΩ switch is included on the die along with a boost Schottky diode and the necessary oscillator, control, and logic circuitry. Current mode topology is used for fast transient response and good loop stability. Catch diode current sense (DA pin) protects the circuit during input voltage transients even when a high switching frequency is used. Low ripple Burst Mode operation maintains high efficiency at low output currents while keeping output ripple below 15mV in a typical application. In addition, the LT3980 can further enhance low output current efficiency by drawing bias current from the output when VOUT is above 3V. Shutdown reduces input supply current to less than 1μA while a resistor and capacitor on the RUN/SS pin provide a controlled output voltage ramp (soft-start). A power good flag signals when VOUT reaches 91% of the programmed output voltage. The LT3980 is available in 16-pin MSOP and 3mm × 4mm DFN packages with exposed pads for low thermal resistance.
- Automotive Battery Regulation
- Distributed Supply Regulation
- Industrial Supplies
- Wall Transformer Regulation
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit 1476A is a 2A, 58V step-down switching regulator with 75µA quiescent current featuring the LT3980EMSE. The demo board is designed for a 5V/2A output from a 6.8V to 58V input with transients up to 80V.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
To launch ready-to-run LTspice demonstration circuits for this part:
Step 1: Download and install LTspice on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link in the section below to download a demonstration circuit.
Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link below, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As.” After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting ‘Open’ from the ‘File’ menu.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
Reference Designs (1)
Altera Arria V GX FPGA Development Kit
Altera Arria V GX FPGA Development Kit
Features & Benefits
- Analog Devices has worked closely with FPGA and processor manufacturers to develop verified power solutions that optimize cost, size and efficiency in high performance applications
- Our reference designs are supported by an intuitive design tool set and IP
- Our team can provide designs for quick prototypes that can speed time to market in the most complex applications
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.