Features and Benefits
- Set of 4 narrow-band VCOs with consistent sensitivity vs. frequency
- RF and tuning ports common to all 4 VCOs
- RF output operates from fundamental oscillators with no subharmonic oscillations
- Up to 4 dBm RF output power
- Power mute capability
- No external resonator required
- 40-lead, 6 mm × 6 mm LFCSP
The HMC8364 is a gallium arsenide (GaAs), quadband, monolithic microwave integrated circuit (MMIC), voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) designed to offer wideband frequency capabilities without compromising phase noise performance. The device integrates four independent, narrow-band VCOs with overlapping frequency bands, operating at a fundamental frequency range of 18.10 GHz to 26.60 GHz. The consistent tuning sensitivity across all frequency bands simplifies the synthesizer loop filter design.
The tuning port is common to all VCO cores for a simpler design of the phase-locked loop (PLL) feedback path. The HMC8364 also offers a low typical current consumption of 99 mA for power sensitive applications.
The HMC8364 integrates resonators, negative resistance devices, and varactor diodes. The monolithic structure of the oscillator offers very low phase noise, optimal temperature stability, and is immune to vibration and process variation.
The four VCOs are packaged in a single, 6 mm × 6 mm, surface-mount lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP), and require no external matching components. Combined with a high frequency, high performance PLL, the ADF41513, the HMC8364 offers a complete RF or microwave frequency generation solution.
- Electronic test and measurement
- Industrial and medical instrumentation
- Point to point and multipoint radios
- Aerospace and defense
- Wireless communication infrastructure
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV1HMC8362LP6G and EV1HMC8364LP6G allow the evaluation of the performance of the HMC8362 and HMC8364 low noise quadband voltage controlled oscillators (VCOs). A photograph of the evaluation board is shown in Figure 1. The evaluation board contains the HMC8362 or HMC8364 VCO, an LT3042 ultralow noise voltage regulator, a jumper, an ADG1604 4:1 multiplexer, and subminiature Version A (SMA) and 2.92 mm K connectors.
Consult the HMC8362 and HMC8364 data sheets in conjunction with the user guide when working with the evaluation boards.
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
HMC8364 Companion Parts
Recommended Active Loop Filter Op Amps
- 36 V, 18 MHz, Low Noise, Fast Settling Single Supply, RRO, JFET Op Amp: ADA4625-1.
- 30 V, Low Noise, Rail-to-Rail Input/Output, Low Power Operational Single Amplifier: ADA4084-1.
- High Performance, 145 MHz FastFET ™ Op Amps: AD8065.
- 0.1 GHz to 24 GHz, Low Noise, Programmable Divider: HMC862A.
Recommended Phase Locked Loop (PLL)
- 26.5 GHz, Integer N/Fractional-N, PLL Synthesizer: ADF41513.
Recommended Supply Switch
- 1 Ω Typical On Resistance, ±5 V, +12 V, +5 V, and +3.3 V, 4:1 Multiplexer: ADG1604.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.