Features and Benefits
- RF output frequency range: 62.5 MHz to 16,000 MHz
- Fractional-N synthesizer and integer-N synthesizer
- High resolution 39-bit fractional modulus
- Typical spurious fPFD: −90 dBc
- Integrated rms jitter: 38 fs (1 kHz to 100 MHz)
- Normalized phase noise floor: −234 dBc/Hz
- fPFD operation to 250 MHz
- Reference input frequency operation to 600 MHz
- Programmable divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 output
- 62.5 MHz to 8,000 MHz output at RF8x and RFAUX8x
- 8,000 MHz to 16,000 MHz output at RF16x
- Lock time approximately 3 ms with automatic calibration
- Lock time <30 μs with autocalibration bypassed, typical
- Analog and digital power supplies: 3.3 V typical
- VCO supply voltage: 3.3 V and 5 V
- RF output mute function
- 7mm × 7mm, 48-terminal LGA package
The ADF4372 allows implementation of fractional-N or integer-N phase-locked loop (PLL) frequency synthesizers when used with an external loop filter and an external reference frequency. The wideband microwave voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) design allows frequencies from 62.5 MHz to 16 GHz to be generated.
The ADF4372 has an integrated VCO with a fundamental output frequency ranging from 4000 MHz to 8000 MHz. In addition, the VCO frequency is connected to a divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 circuit that allows the user to generate radio frequency (RF) output frequencies as low as 62.5 MHz at RF8x. A frequency multiplier at RF16x generates from 8 GHz to 16 GHz. RFAUX8x duplicates the frequency range of RF8x or permits direct access to the VCO output. To suppress the unwanted products of frequency multiplication, a harmonic filter exists between the multiplier and the output stage of RF16x.
Control of all on-chip registers is through a 3-wire interface. The ADF4372 operates with analog and digital power supplies ranging from 3.15 V to 3.45 V, and 5 V for the VCO power supply. The ADF4372 also contains hardware and software power-down modes.
- Wireless infrastructure (multicarrier global system for mobile communication (MC-GSM), 5 G)
- Test equipment and instrumentation
- Clock generation
- Aerospace and defense
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-ADF4372SD2Z evaluates the performance of the ADF4372 frequency synthesizer with an integrated voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) for phase-locked loops (PLLs). The evaluation board contains the ADF4372 frequency synthesizer with an integrated VCO, a USB interface, power supply connectors, and subminiature Version A (SMA) connectors.
The EV-ADF4372SD2Z requires an SDP-S board (not supplied with the kit). The SDP-S allows software programming of the EV-ADF4372SD2Z.
Full specifications for the ADF4372 frequency synthesizer are available in the product data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when working with the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Self contained board, including ADF4372 frequency synthesizer with integrated VCO, loop filter (180 kHz), USB interface, and voltage regulators
- Windows-based software allows control of synthesizer functions from a PC
- Externally powered by 6 V
Product Selection Guide (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.