Polyphase Multifunction Energy Metering IC With Tamper Detection And Low Power Mode
Features and Benefits
- Highly accurate; supports EN 50470-1, EN 50470-3, IEC 62053-21, IEC 62053-22 and IEC 62053-23
- Compatible with 3-phase, 3 or 4 wire (delta or wye) and other 3-phase services
- Supplies total (fundamental and harmonic) active/reactive/ apparent energy on each phase and on the overall system
- Less than 0.1% error in active and reactive energy over a dynamic range of 1000 to 1 at 25°C
- Less than 0.2% error in active and reactive energy over a dynamic range of 3000 to 1 at 25°C
- Supports current transformer and di/dt current sensors
- Dedicated ADC channel for the neutral current input
- Less than 0.1% error in voltage and current rms over a dynamic range of 1000 to 1 at 25°C
- Supplies sampled waveform data on all 3 phases and neutral current
- See data sheet for additional features
The ADE7868 is a high accuracy, 3-phase electrical energy measurement IC with serial interfaces and three flexible pulse outputs. The ADE7868 incorporates second-order Σ-Δ ADCs, a digital integrator, reference circuitry, and all the signal processing required to perform total (fundamental and harmonic) active, reactive and apparent energy measurement, and rms calculations. A fixed function digital signal processor (DSP) executes this signal processing. The ADE7868 is suitable to measure active, reactive, and apparent energy in various 3-phase configurations, such as WYE or DELTA services, with both three and four wires. The ADE7868 provides system calibration features for each phase, that is, rms offset correction, phase calibration, and gain calibration. The CF1, CF2 and CF3 logic outputs provide a wide choice of power information: total active/reactive/apparent power or sum of current rms values.
The ADE7868 has waveform sample registers that allow access to all ADC outputs. The device also incorporates power quality measurements such as short duration low or high voltage detections, short duration high current variations, line voltage period measurement and angles between phase voltages and currents. Two serial interfaces can be used to communicate with the ADE7868: SPI or I2C while a dedicated high speed interface, HSDC (High Speed Data Capture) port, can be used in conjunction with I2C to provide access to the ADC outputs and real time power information. The ADE7868 has also two interrupt request pins, IRQ0 and IRQ1, to indicate that an enabled interrupt event has occurred. Three specially designed low power modes ensure the continuity of the energy accumulation when the ADE7868 is in tampering situation. The ADE7868 is available in 40-lead LFCSP lead free package.
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADE7878 is a high accuracy, 3-phase electrical energy measurement IC with serial interfaces and three flexible pulse outputs. The ADE7878 incorporates seven ADCs, reference circuitry and all signal processing required to perform total (fundamental and harmonic) active, reactive and apparent energy measurement, fundamental active and reactive energy measurement and rms calculations.
This documentation describes the ADE7878 evaluation kit hardware, firmware and software functionality. The evaluation board contains an ADE7878 and a LPC2368 microcontroller. The ADE7878 and its associated metering components are optically isolated from the microcontroller. The microcontroller communicates with the PC using a USB interface. Firmware updates can be loaded using one PC com port and a regular serial cable. The ADE7878 evaluation board and this documentation, together with the ADE7878 data sheet provide a complete evaluation platform for the ADE7878.
The evaluation board has been designed so that ADE7878 can be evaluated in an energy meter. Using appropriate current transducers, the evaluation board can be connected to a test bench or high voltage (240Vrms) test circuit. On-board resistor dividers networks provide the attenuation for the line voltages. This application note describes how the current transducers should be connected for the best performance. The evaluation board requires two external 3.3V power supplies and the appropriate current transducers.
Features & BenefitsEVAL-ADE7878EBZ can be used for the evaluation of the following:
- ADE7878, ADE7868, ADE7858, ADE7854, family of parts.
- The UG-146 User Guide describes the ADE7878 evaluation kit hardware, firmware, and software functionality.
- Evaluation board designed to be used together with accompanying software to implement a fully functional three-phase energy meter.
- Easy connection of various external transducers via screw terminals.
- Easy modification of signal conditioning components using PCB sockets.
- LED indicators on logic outputs CF1, CF2, CF3, IRQ0, and IRQ.
- Optically isolated metering components and USB based communication with PC.
- External voltage reference option available for on-chip reference evaluation.
- PC COM port-based firmware updates.
Application Notes (4)
ADE7868 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For a dual, bi-directional, 2.5kV, hot swap isolator: ADUM1250.
- For a dual, bi-directional, 5kV, hot swap isolator: ADUM2250.
Recommended External References
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.