Hot Swappable Dual I2C Isolator
The ADuM1250/ADuM1251 are hot swappable digital isolators with nonlatching, bidirectional communication channels compatible with I2C interfaces. This eliminates the need for splitting I2C signals into separate transmit and receive signals for use with standalone optocouplers.
The ADuM1250 provides two bidirectional channels, supporting a complete isolated I2C interface. The ADuM1251 provides one bidirectional channel and one unidirectional channel for those applications where a bidirectional clock is not required.
Both the ADuM1250 and ADuM1251 contain hot swap circuitry to prevent glitching data when an unpowered card is inserted onto an active bus.
These isolators are based on iCoupler® chip scale transformer technology from Analog Devices, Inc. iCoupler is a magnetic isolation technology with functional, performance, size, and power consumption advantages as compared to optocouplers. With the ADuM1250/ADuM1251, iCoupler channels can be integrated with semiconductor circuitry, which enables a complete isolated I2C interface to be implemented in a small form factor.
- Isolated I2C, SMBus, or PMBus interfaces
- Multilevel I2C interfaces
- Power supplies
- Power over Ethernet
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The ezLINX™ iCoupler® Isolated Interface Development Environment provides developers with a cost-effective, plug and play method for evaluation eight physical layer, digitally-isolated communication standards (USB, RS-422, RS-485, RS-232, CAN, SPI, I2C, and LVDS). The Blackfin® ADSP-BF548 processor is used to run the uCLinux operating system and allows for easy customization through the open source hardware and software platform. Development time is significantly reduced for embedded designers and system architects who are designing and evaluating isolated communication standards. The interfaces on ezLINX use ADI's isolated transceivers with integrated iCoupler® and isoPower® digital isolator technology.
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Safety and Regulatory Compliance
Safety and Regulatory Compliance Information
The iCoupler® family of digital isolation products have been tested and approved by various regulatory agencies,...
Product Selection Guide
Digital Isolator Product Selection and Resource Guide
By Brian Hughes, Product Engineer
MS-2488: Digital Isolation for AC Voltage Motor Drives
Inside iCoupler® Technology:ADuM347x PWM Controller and Transformer Driver...
By Flow Zhao, Design Engineer
NAppkin Note: Lowering the Power of the ADuM524x
By Mark Cantrell, Senior Applications Engineer
Micro-Transformers Provide Signal and Power Isolation for Hybrid Electric...
By Baoxing Chen, Sr. Staff Engineer, Analog Devices, Inc.
Microtransformer Isolation Benefits Digital Control
by Dr. Baoxing Chen, Analog Devices, Inc. (Power Electronics Technology, October 2008)
Medical Devices Demand Stringent Isolation Techniques
iCoupler® Products with isoPower™ Technology: Signal and Power Transfer...
By Baoxing Chen
High Speed Digital Isolators Using Microscale On-Chip Transformers
By Baoxing Chen, John Wynne, and Ronn Kliger
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.