Features and Benefits
- Small Form Factor Dual 4A Power Supply
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 4.5V to 20V (2.375V Min with CPWR Bias)
- Dual 180° Out-of-Phase Outputs with 4A DC
- Dual Outputs with 0.6V to 5.5V Range
- Output Voltage Tracking
- ±1.5% Maximum Total DC Output Voltage Error
- Up to 95% Maximum Efficiency
- Phase-Lockable Fixed Frequency 600kHz to 1.4MHz
- Constant On-Time, Valley Current Mode Architecture
- Selectable Burst Mode® Operation
- Output Overvoltage and Overcurrent Protection
- 9mm × 11.25mm × 4.92mm BGA Package
The LTM4642 is a complete dual 4A or single 8A step-down DC/DC μModule® (micromodule) regulator. Included in the package are the switching controller, power FETs, inductor, and all support components. Operating over input voltage ranges of 4.5V to 20V, (2.375V min with external CPWR bias), the LTM4642 supports two outputs with voltage ranges of 0.6V to 5.5V, set by a single external resistor. Its high efficiency design delivers 4A continuous current (5A peak) for each output.
High switching frequency and a valley current mode architecture enable a very fast transient response to line and load changes without sacrificing stability. The two outputs are interleaved with 180° phase to minimize the ripple noise and reduce the I/O capacitors.
The power module is offered in a 9mm × 11.25mm × 4.92mm BGA package. The LTM4642 is RoHS compliant with Pb-free finish.
- Telecom and Networking Equipment
- FPGA Power
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit of DC2194A features the LTM4642IY, the wide input voltage, high efficiency and power density, dual 4A or single 8A DC/DC step-down μModule regulator. The step-down regulator operates from an input voltage range of 4.5V to 20V (or 2.5V min. with 5V external bias voltage at CPWR) and provides an adjustable output voltage range from 0.6V to 5V at 4A load current per channel. The part is capable of operating in dual phase single output, delivers up to 8A load current with interleaved two phases at 180 degrees. Differential output voltage sensing is available on Channel 1 for applications requiring more accurate output load regulation. A user-selectable mode input is provided to allow users to trade off ripple noise for light load efficiency: Discontinuous Mode (DCM) of operation delivers higher efficiency at light load while Continuous Conduction Mode (CCM) is preferred for noise sensitive applications.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
To launch ready-to-run LTspice demonstration circuits for this part:
Step 1: Download and install LTspice on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link in the section below to download a demonstration circuit.
Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link below, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As.” After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting ‘Open’ from the ‘File’ menu.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
To open the project file for this circuit:
Step 1: Download and install LTpowerCAD on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link(s) in the section below to download part-specific project files.
Step 3: If the project file doesn't run, right-click the link and select "Save Target As." Then start the LTpowerCAD tool and open the project file by selecing "Open Project" from the "File" menu.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
Reference Designs (1)
Intel Stratix 10 FPGA PCIe Development Kit
Intel Stratix 10 FPGA PCIe Development Kit
Features & Benefits
- Analog Devices has worked closely with Intel PSG to develop verified power solutions that optimize cost, size and efficiency in high performance applications.
- The validated power solutions include uModules power products that address time and space constraints while delivering high efficiency, reliability, and low noise.
- The actual power tree represents the best solution at time of design.
- A recommended power tree has also been included to present the ideal solution at time of Stratix 10 GX PCIe development kit release. An updated alternate version of the power tree represents the latest solutions available from Analog Devices. For many applications, an intermediate rail is not ideal, so recommendations an alternate power tree that allow for direct power conversion from 12V input is provided below.
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.