Features and Benefits
- Output frequency range: 65 MHz to 400 MHz
- 3.0 V to 3.6 V power supply
- 1.8 V logic compatibility
- Integer-N synthesizer
- Programmable output power level
- 3-wire serial interface
- Digital lock detect
- Hardware and software power-down mode
The ADF4360-8 is an integrated integer-N synthesizer and voltage controlled oscillator (VCO). The ADF4360-8 center frequency is set by external inductors. This allows a frequency range of between 65 MHz to 400 MHz. Control of all the on-chip registers is through a simple 3-wire interface. The device operates with a power supply ranging from 3.0 V to 3.6 V and can be powered down when not in use.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-ADF4360-8EB1Z board is designed to allow the user to evaluate the performance of the ADF4360-8 frequency synthesizer consisting of an integrated PLL and VCO. It contains the ADF4360-8BCPZ, a USB connector, and SMA connectors for the RF outputs. Unpopulated SMA footprints are available for the power supplies, the chip enable (CE), and the external reference input. The evaluation board also contains the loop filter to complete the PLL. It can be modified as necessary for the user’s PLL requirements. A USB cable is included with the board to allow software programmability.
The package also contains a CD with Windows® software to allow quick, user-friendly programming of the synthesizer. The CD contains numerous other PLL data sheets, technical notes, articles, and ADIsimPLL™ V3.4, Analog Devices, Inc., PLL simulation software. More information is available at www.analog.com/pll.
Features & Benefits
- Self-contained board for generating RF frequencies
- Flexibility for reference input, PFD frequency, and loop bandwidth
- Accompanying software allows complete control of synthesizer functions from a PC
- Flexibility for changing external inductor to allow different
- VCO output frequency ranges
- USB-/battery-operated 9 V supplies
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
ADF4360-8 Companion Parts
Recommended Linear Regulators
- For a step up, 3V to 5V regulator: ADP1613.
- For ultralow noise, 3V applications,150 mA output: ADP150.
- For high accuracy, 5V applications: ADP3334.
- For ultalow noise, 3V applications, 200 mA output: ADP151.
Recommended Divide-by-4 Prescaler
- For a low noise, low power, fixed RF block: ADF5001.
Recommended PLL Active Filter
- For an ultralow noise, rail-to-rail amplifier: OP184.
Recommended Reference Buffer
- With integrated filters for improved noise: LTC6957.
Recommended Reference Clean Up PLL
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (4)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.