Features and Benefits
- RF bandwidth to 6.1 GHz
- 25-bit fixed modulus allows subhertz frequency resolution
- Frequency and phase modulation capability
- Sawtooth and triangular waveforms in the frequency domain
- Parabolic ramp
- Ramp superimposed with FSK
- Ramp with 2 different sweep rates
- Ramp delay
- Ramp frequency readback
- Ramp interruption
- 2.7 V to 3.3 V power supply
- Separate VP allows extended tuning voltage
- Programmable charge pump currents
- 3-wire serial interface
- Digital lock detect
- Power-down mode
- Cycle slip reduction for faster lock times
- Switched bandwidth fast-lock mode
- Qualified for automotive applications
The ADF4158 is a 6.1 GHz, fractional-N frequency synthesizer with modulation and waveform generation capability. It contains a 25-bit fixed modulus, allowing subhertz resolution at 6.1 GHz. It consists of a low noise digital phase frequency detector (PFD), a precision charge pump, and a programmable reference divider. There is a sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) based fractional interpolator to allow programmable fractional-N division. The INT and FRAC registers define an overall N-divider as N = INT + (FRAC/225).
The ADF4158 can be used to implement frequency shift keying (FSK) and phase shift keying (PSK) modulation. There are also a number of frequency sweep modes available, which generate various waveforms in the frequency domain, for example, sawtooth and triangular waveforms. Sweeps can be set to run automatically, or each step manually triggered by an external pulse. The ADF4158 features cycle slip reduction circuitry, which leads to faster lock times, without the need for modifications to the loop filter.
Control of all on-chip registers is via a simple 3-wire interface. The device operates with a power supply ranging from 2.7 V to 3.3 V and can be powered down when not in use.
- Frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) radar
- Communications test equipment
Markets & Technology
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADF4158EB1Z evaluates the performance of the ADF4158 frequency synthesizer for phase locked loops (PLL). The board contains the ADF4158 synthesizer, a PC connector, SMA connectors for the power supplies, and an RF output. There is also a low pass loop filter (20 kHz) and a VCO (Z Communications, Inc., VCO940ME03 5.8 GHz) on board. The evaluation board is set up for a 10 MHz PFD comparison frequency. An on-board TCXO provides the 10 MHz reference frequency. A USB cable is included with the board to connect to a PC USB port.
The package also contains Windows® software (XP, Vista, and 7 compatible) to allow easy programming of the synthesizer.
Features & Benefits
- Self-contained board including synthesizer, VCO, 10 MHz TCXO reference, USB interface, voltage regulators, and loop filter (5.8 GHz)
- Designed for 10 MHz PFD frequency, minimum charge pump current, and 20 kHz loop bandwidth
- Accompanying software allows control of synthesizer functions from a PC (via USB interface)
- Battery operated: choice of 3 V or 5 V supplies
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
ADF4158 Companion Parts
Recommended Linear Regulators
- For ultralow noise, 3V applications,150mA output: ADP150.
- For a step up, 3V to 5V regulator: ADP1613.
- For ultalow noise, 3V applications, 200mA output: ADP151.
- For high accuracy, 5V applications: ADP3334.
Recommended Divide-by-4 Prescaler
- For a low noise, low power, fixed RF block: ADF5001.
Recommended PLL Active Filter
- For an ultralow noise, rail-to-rail amplifier: OP184.
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.