Features and Benefits
- Highly accurate; supports IEC 62053-21, IEC 62053-22, IEC 62053-23, EN 50470-1, EN 50470-3, ANSI C12.20, and IEEE1459 standards
- Supports IEC 61000-4-7 Class I and II accuracy specification
- Compatible with 3-phase, 3-wire or 4-wire (delta or wye), and other 3-phase services
- Supplies rms, active, reactive and apparent powers, power factor, THD, and harmonic distortion of all harmonics within 2.8 KHz pass band on all phases
- Supplies rms and harmonic distortions of all harmonics within 2.8 KHz pass band on neutral current
- Less than 1% error in harmonic current and voltage rms, harmonic active and reactive powers over a dynamic range of 2000 to 1 at TA = 25°C
- Supplies total (fundamental and harmonic) active and apparent energy and fundamental active/reactive energy on each phase and on the overall system
- Less than 0.1% error in active and fundamental reactive energy over a dynamic range of 1000 to 1 at TA = 25°C
- Less than 0.2% error in active and fundamental reactive energy over a dynamic range of 5000 to 1 at TA = 25°C
- See data sheet for additional features
The ADE7880 is high accuracy, 3-phase electrical energy measurement IC with serial interfaces and three flexible pulse outputs. The ADE7880 device incorporates second-order sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), a digital integrator, reference circuitry, and all of the signal processing required to perform the total (fundamental and harmonic) active, and apparent energy measurements, rms calculations, as well as fundamental-only active and reactive energy measurements. In addition, the ADE7880 computes the rms of harmonics on the phase and neutral currents and on the phase voltages, together with the active, reactive, and apparent power, and the power factor and harmonic distortion on each harmonic for all phases. Total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD + N) is computed for all currents and voltages. A fixed function digital signal processor (DSP) executes this signal processing. The DSP program is stored in the internal ROM memory.
The ADE7880 is suitable for measuring active, reactive, and apparent energy in various 3-phase configurations, such as wye or delta services with both three and four wires. The ADE7880 provides system calibration features for each phase, that is, rms offset correction, phase calibration, and gain calibration. The CF1, CF2, and CF3 logic outputs provide a wide choice of power information: total active powers, apparent powers, or the sum of the current rms values, and fundamental active and reactive powers.
The ADE7880 contains waveform sample registers that allow access to all ADC outputs. The devices also incorporate power quality measurements, such as short duration low or high voltage detections, short duration high current variations, line voltage period measurement, and angles between phase voltages and currents. Two serial interfaces, SPI and I2C, can be used to communicate with the ADE7880. A dedicated high speed interface, the high speed data capture (HSDC) port, can be used in conjunction with I2C to provide access to the ADC outputs and real-time power information. The ADE7880 also has two interrupt request pins, IRQ0 and IRQ1, to indicate that an enabled interrupt event has occurred. Three specially designed low power modes ensure the continuity of energy accumulation when the ADE7880 is in a tampering situation. The ADE7880 is available in the 40-lead LFCSP, Pb-free package, pin-for-pin compatible with ADE7854, ADE7858, ADE7868, and ADE7878 devices.
- Energy metering systems
- Power quality monitoring
- Solar inverters
- Process monitoring
- Protective devices
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This page contains ordering information for ADE7880 evaluation kit. Evaluation kit includes ADE7880 evaluation board with USB interface, USB cable and PC software and documentation.
Application Notes (4)
ADE7880 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For a dual, bi-directional, 2.5kV, hot swap isolator: ADUM1250.
- For a dual, bi-directional, 5kV, hot swap isolator: ADUM2250.
Recommended External References
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.