Features and Benefits
- 7 high performance analog-to-digital converters (ADCs)
- 101 dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
- 10,000:1 dynamic range
- Wide input range: ±1 V, 0.707 V rms full scale
- Differential inputs
- ±25 ppm/°C maximum channel temperature drift (including ADC, internal VREF, and PGA drift) enabling Class 0.2 meters with standard external components
- Power quality measurements
- Line frequency: 1 measurement per phase
- Zero crossing detection, zero-crossing timeout
- Phase angle measurements
- Supports current transformers (CTs) and Rogowski coil (di/dt) sensors
- Multiple range phase/gain compensation for CTs
- Digital integrator for Rogowski coils
- Flexible waveform buffer
- Able to resample waveform to ensure 64 points per line cycle for ease of external harmonic analysis
- Events can trigger waveform storage
- Simplifies data collection for IEC 61000-4-7 harmonic analysis
- Advanced metrology feature set
- Total active power, volt-amperes reactive (VAR), volt-amperes (VA), watthour, VAR-hour, and VA-hour
- Fundamental VAR and VAR-hour
- Current and voltage rms per phase (xIRMS, xVRMS)
- Supports active energy standards: IEC 62053-21, IEC 62053-22; EN50470-3; OIML R46, ANSI C12.20
- Supports reactive energy standards: IEC 62053-23, IEC 62053-4
- High speed communication port
- 10 MHz serial peripheral interface (SPI)
The ADE9078 is a highly accurate, fully integrated energy metering device. Interfacing with both current transformer (CT) and Rogowski coil sensors, the ADE9078 enables users to develop a 3-phase metrology platform, which achieves high performance for Class 1 up to Class 0.2 meters.
The ADE9078 integrates seven high performances ADCs and a flexible DSP core. An integrated high end reference ensures low drift over temperature with a combined drift of less than ±25 ppm/°C maximum per channel, each of which includes a programmable gain amplifier (PGA) and ADC.
The ADE9078 offers an integrated flexible waveform buffer that stores samples at a fixed data rate or a sampling rate that varies based on line frequency to ensure 64 points per line cycle. These two options make it easy to implement harmonic analysis in an external processor according to IEC 61000-4-7.
Two power modes are provided to enable detection of meter tampering: PSM2 uses a low power comparator to compare current channels to a threshold and indicates whether it is exceeded on the IRQ0 and IRQ1 outputs; PSM1 enables fast measurement of current and voltage rms (xVRMS and xIRMS), active power, and VAR during a tamper.
The ADE9078 allows advanced and highly accurate energy measurements, enabling one platform to cover a wide range of meters, through a combination of various high end metrology features and superior analog performance.
- Polyphase meters
- Power quality monitoring
- Protective device
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADE9078EBZ evaluation board allows the performance of the ADE9078 energy metering IC to be evaluated in a context very close to an actual 3-phase meter implementation. The kit requires purchasing a second board, the controller board for the system demonstration platform (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z). The ADE9078 evaluation kit includes evaluation software, written in LabVIEW®, that provides access to the registers and features of the device using a PC interface.
Consult the ADE9078 data sheet in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the ADE9078
- PC control in conjunction with the system demonstration platform (EVAL-SDP-CB1Z)
- PC software for control and data analysis (time and frequency domain)
- Standalone capability
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.