Features and Benefits
- 12-/10-/8-bit ADCs with fast conversion time: 1 μs typical
- 4 analog input channels/3 analog input channels with reference input
- Specified for VDD of 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Sequencer operation
- Temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- I2C-compatible serial interface supports standard, fast, and high speed modes
- 2 versions allow 2 I2C addresses
- Low power consumption
- Shutdown mode: 1 μA maximum
- 8-lead SOT-23 package
- Qualified for automotive applications
The AD7991/AD7995/AD7999 are 12-/10-/8-bit, low power, successive approximation ADCs with an I2C®-compatible interface. Each part operates from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply and features a 1 μs conversion time. The track-and-hold amplifier allows each part to handle input frequencies of up to 14 MHz, and a multiplexer allows taking samples from four channels.
Each AD7991/AD7995/AD7999 provides a 2-wire serial interface compatible with I2C interfaces. The AD7991 and AD7995 come in two versions and each version has an individual I2C address. This allows two of the same devices to be connected to the same I2C bus. Both versions support standard, fast, and high speed I2C interface modes. The AD7999 comes in one version.
The AD7991/AD7995/AD7999 normally remain in a shutdown state, powering up only for conversions. The conversion process is controlled by a command mode, during which each I2C read operation initiates a conversion and returns the result over the I2C bus.
When four channels are used as analog inputs, the reference for the part is taken from VDD; this allows the widest dynamic input range to the ADC. Therefore, the analog input range to the ADC is 0 V to VDD;. An external reference, applied through the VIN3/VREF input, can also be used with this part.
- Four single-ended analog input channels, or three single-ended analog input channels and one reference input channel.
- I2C-compatible serial interface. Standard, fast, and high speed modes.
- Automatic shutdown.
- Reference derived from the power supply or external reference.
- 8-lead SOT-23 package.
- System monitoring
- Battery-powered systems
- Data acquisition
- Medical instruments
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7991EBZ is a fully featured evaluation board for the AD7991. The evaluation board can be operated in complete standalone mode or connected to a PC via a standard USB interface. When operated with a PC, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance.
Please note: This Evaluation software does not run on Windows 8 or Windows 10 (USB driver is non-compliant with OS >Windows 7).
Software & Systems Requirements
AD7991 Companion Parts
Recommended External References - 2.5V
- For applications requiring 2.048V to 4.096V: REF191.
- For the reference buffer amplifier: AD8605, AD8605.
- For low noise, high output current applications: ADR431.
- For applications requiring best accuracy, low noise, low drift: ADR421, AD780, AD780.
- For wide supply applications: AD780, ADR03, AD780.
- For cost sensitive applications: AD1582, ADR381, ADR391.
Recommended Input Buffer Amplifiers
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.