Isolated DC/DC Converter
The ADuM5000 is an isolated DC/DC converter based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology. The DC/DC converter in this device provides regulated, isolated power in several combinations of input and output voltage as listed in Table 1.
The Analog Devices chip-scale transformer iCoupler technology transfers isolated power in this DC/DC converter with up to 33% efficiency. The result is a small form factor, total isolation solution.
isoPower uses high frequency switching elements to transfer power through its transformer. Special care must be taken during printed circuit board (PCB) layout to meet emissions standards. Refer to the AN-0971 application note for board layout recommendations.
- RS-232/RS-422/RS-485 transceivers
- Industrial field bus isolation
- Power supply start ups and gate drives
- Isolated sensor interface
- Industrial PLCs
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The ezLINX™ iCoupler® Isolated Interface Development Environment provides developers with a cost-effective, plug and play method for evaluation eight physical layer, digitally-isolated communication standards (USB, RS-422, RS-485, RS-232, CAN, SPI, I2C, and LVDS). The Blackfin® ADSP-BF548 processor is used to run the uCLinux operating system and allows for easy customization through the open source hardware and software platform. Development time is significantly reduced for embedded designers and system architects who are designing and evaluating isolated communication standards. The interfaces on ezLINX use ADI's isolated transceivers with integrated iCoupler® and isoPower® digital isolator technology.
Supported iCoupler® Products
FLEXMC MOTOR CONTROL LOW VOLTAGE KIT
The FlexMC Motor Control Development PlatformTM is a rapid development system for any motor control solution. The FlexMC KitTM enables you to accelerate time-to-market and increase performance with powerful model-based design tools. This solution combines hardware and software with out-of-the-box functionality for a permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) with hall sensor, encoder, or sensorless feedback.
The FlexMC Kit has the hardware and software required to spin the kit’s motor under open or closed loop speed control in conjunction with an ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit. The software is provided as an executable file which can be flashed to the ADSP-CM408 processor using the ADI serial boot-loader utility. A .NET-based graphical user interface (GUI) is provided to enable motor start-stop, speed control, and data visualization. Sample C-code is also provided for open loop Volts/Hertz control of a motor.
The FlexMC Kit hardware comes in two variants. The kit option includes a PMSM motor with encoder, a 24V motor drive board, and a power supply. The board-only option includes the motor drive board only. In this case users can connect their own motor and power source. In both cases, the power board connects directly to an Analog Devices ADSP-CM408 Mixed-Signal Control Processor EZ Kit (sold separately). Easy connection to motors and the CM408 EZ Kit make this system perfect for your prototyping needs.
Additional rapid prototyping MATLAB/Simulink tools and support can be obtained by purchasing this kit from Boston Engineering
Low Voltage Kit Contents
- Low Voltage Motor Control Board, 12-36V, 10A
- 24V, 3-phase PMSM (not included in board-only option)
- Quadrature Incremental Encoder (not included in board-only option)
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADI ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit
- Executable Demo Application
- Sample application C code
Note: To get started, download software and to get technical support on the FlexMC kit go to EngineerZone:
Sample C Code for EV-MCS-LVDRV-Z platform
Getting started with the EV-MCS-LVDRV-Z motor control platform
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Product Selection Guide
Digital Isolator Product Selection and Resource Guide
Digital Isolator Simplifies USB Isolation in Medical and Industrial...
Analog Dialogue, Volume 43 – June 2009
Safety and Regulatory Compliance Information
The iCoupler® family of digital isolation products have been tested and approved by various regulatory agencies,...
CN0256: Isolated LVDS Interface Circuit
MS-2204: Power Blanking for Increased Accuracy Using isoPower Devices
Inside iCoupler® Technology:ADuM347x PWM Controller and Transformer Driver with
By Flow Zhao, Design Engineer
NAppkin Note: Lowering the Power of the ADuM524x
By Mark Cantrell, Senior Applications Engineer
Simplify USB Isolation in Medical Applications
This article discusses various ways of implementing isolation with USB. In particular, a new option, which allows...
Micro-Transformers Provide Signal and Power Isolation for Hybrid Electric...
By Baoxing Chen, Sr. Staff Engineer, Analog Devices, Inc.
High Speed Digital Isolators Using Microscale On-Chip Transformers
By Baoxing Chen, John Wynne, and Ronn Kliger
iCoupler® Products with isoPower™ Technology: Signal and Power Transfer...
By Baoxing Chen
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.