Features and Benefits
- Minimizes PCB Area and Design Cost
- 8 Full Channels of LNA, VGA, AAF, 12-Bit ADC, Digital HPF and CWD Mixer Beamformer in a Small, 10mm × 10mm CTBGA Package
- Improves System Sensitivity
- Ultra-Low Full-Channel Noise Figure of 2.8dB at RS = RIN = 200Ω
- Improves System Dynamic Range
- 76dBFS Image Path SNR Over 2MHz Bandwidth at fRF = 5MHz
- 137dBFS/Hz Image Path SNR at 1kHz Offset from fRF = 5MHz
- Consumes Less Power
- Ultra-Low Power of Only 120mW per Full Channel in Imaging Mode at 50Msps
- Selectable Active Input Impedance Matching of 50Ω, 100Ω, 200Ω, and 1kΩ
- Programmable VGA Output Clamp
- Integrated Selectable 3-Pole 9MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz, and 18MHz Butterworth Anti-Alias Filter
- Programmable, Digital Highpass, 2-Pole Filter
- Serial LVDS Digital Outputs
- Fast Recovery Low-Power Modes (< 2µs)
- Separate Channel I/Q CWD Mixers for Improved Dynamic Range and Sensitivity
The MAX2079 fully integrated octal ultrasound receiver is optimized for high channel count, high-performance portable and cart-based ultrasound systems. The easy-to-use integrated receiver allows the user to achieve high-end 2D and Doppler imaging capability using substantially less space and power. The highly compact low-noise amplifier (LNA), variable-gain amplifier (VGA), anti-alias filter (AAF), analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and digital highpass filter (HPF) achieve an ultra-low 2.8dB noise figure at RS = RIN = 200Ω with a very low 120mW per channel power dissipation at 50Msps. The full receive channel has been optimized for second-harmonic imaging with an exceptional 76dBFS SNR over a 2MHz bandwidth, and -70dBc second-harmonic distortion at fRF = 5MHz over the full receiver gain range. Near-carrier dynamic range has also been optimized for exceptional pulsed and color-flow Doppler performance under high-clutter conditions. The bipolar front-end and CMOS ADC achieve an exceptional near-carrier SNR of 137dBFS/Hz at 1kHz from a 5MHz tone for excellent low-velocity Doppler sensitivity.
The device also includes an octal CWD beamformer for a full Doppler solution. Separate mixers for each channel are available for optimal CWD sensitivity.
The MAX2079 octal ultrasound front-end is available in a small, 10mm × 10mm, CTBGA package and is specified over the 0°C to +70°C temperature range.
- Medical Ultrasound Imaging
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Documentation & Resources
MAX2079 Reliability Data1/12/202333K
Maximize the Performance of High-Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) Ultrasound Receivers with an Optimized System Design3/12/2015
Compact Medical Ultrasound - Advanced Analog Integration and Low-Noise System Design Make It Possible1/28/2015
Overview of Ultrasound Imaging Systems and the Electrical Components Required for Main Subfunctions5/10/2010
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.