Features and Benefits
- Silent Switcher ®2 Architecture
- Ultralow EMI Emissions on Any PCB
- Eliminates PCB Layout Sensitivity
- Internal Bypass Capacitors Reduce Radiated EMI
- Optional Spread Spectrum Modulation
- High Efficiency at High Frequency
- Up to 96% Efficiency at 1MHz, 12VIN to 5VOUT
- Up to 95% Efficiency at 2MHz, 12VIN to 5VOUT
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 3.4V to 42V
- 6A Maximum Continuous, 7A Peak Output
- Ultralow Quiescent Current Burst Mode® Operation
- 2.5μA IQ Regulating 12VIN to 3.3VOUT (LT8640S)
- Output Ripple < 10mVP-P
- External Compensation: Fast Transient Response and Current Sharing (LT8643S)
- Fast Minimum Switch On-Time: 30ns
- Low Dropout Under All Conditions: 100mV at 1A
- Forced Continuous Mode
- Adjustable and Synchronizable: 200kHz to 3MHz
- Output Soft-Start and Tracking
- Small 24-Lead 4mm × 4mm LQFN Package
- AEC-Q100 Qualified for Automotive Applications
The LT8640S/LT8643S synchronous step-down regulator features second generation Silent Switcher architecture designed to minimize EMI emissions while delivering high efficiency at high switching frequencies. This includes the integration of bypass capacitors to optimize all the fast current loops inside and make it easy to achieve advertised EMI performance by reducing layout sensitivity. This performance makes the LT8640S/LT8643S ideal for noise-sensitive applications and environments.
Peak current mode control with a 30ns minimum on-time allows high step-down ratios even at high switching frequencies. The LT8643S has external compensation to enable current sharing and fast transient response at high switching frequencies.
Burst Mode operation enables ultralow standby current consumption, forced continuous mode can control frequency harmonics across the entire output load range, or spread spectrum operation can further reduce EMI emissions.
- Automotive and Industrial Supplies
- General Purpose Step-Down
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit 2530A is a 42V, 6A micropower synchronous step-down second generation Silent Switcher® with spread spectrum frequency modulation featuring the LT8640S. The demo board is designed for 5V output from a 5.8V to 42V input. The wide input range allows a variety of input sources, such as automotive batteries and industrial supplies. The LT8640S is a compact, ultralow emission, high efficiency, and high speed synchronous monolithic step-down switching regulator. The integrated bypass capacitors optimize all the fast current loops and make it easier to minimize EMI/EMC emissions by reducing layout sensitivity. Selectable spread spectrum mode can further improve EMI/EMC performance. Ultralow quiescent current in Burst Mode® operation achieves high efficiency at very light loads. Fast minimum on-time of 30ns enables high VIN to low VOUT conversion at high frequency.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
To open the project file for this circuit:
Step 1: Download and install LTpowerCAD on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link(s) in the section below to download part-specific project files.
Step 3: If the project file doesn't run, right-click the link and select "Save Target As." Then start the LTpowerCAD tool and open the project file by selecing "Open Project" from the "File" menu.
LTpowerCAD Project Files
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
Reference Designs (1)
NXP NOVPED iMX6 QP Development Board
NXP NOVPED iMX6 QP Development Board
Features & Benefits
- Analog Devices has worked closely with FPGA and processor manufacturers to develop verified power solutions that optimize cost, size and efficiency in high performance applications
- Our reference designs are supported by an intuitive design tool set and IP
- Our team can provide designs for quick prototypes that can speed time to market in the most complex applications
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.