New Content (2)
Features and Benefits
RF output frequency range: 53.125 MHz to 13,600 MHz
- Noise floor integer channel: −227 dBc/Hz
- Noise floor fractional channel: −225 dBc/Hz
- Integrated rms jitter (1 kHz to 20 MHz): 97 fs for 6 GHz output
- Fractional-N synthesizer and integer N synthesizer
- Pin compatible to the ADF5355
- High resolution, 52-bit modulus
- Phase frequency detector (PFD) operation to 125 MHz
- Reference input frequency operation to 600 MHz
- Maintains frequency lock over −40°C to +85°C
- Low phase noise, voltage controlled oscillator (VCO)
- Programmable divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 output
- Analog and digital power supplies: 3.3 V
- Charge pump and VCO power supplies: 5.0 V typical
- Logic compatibility: 1.8 V
- Programmable output power level
- RF output mute function
- Supported by the ADIsimPLL design tool
The ADF5356 allows implementation of fractional-N or integer N phase-locked loop (PLL) frequency synthesizers when used with an external loop filter and an external reference frequency. The wideband microwave VCO design permits frequency operation from 6.8 GHz to 13.6 GHz at one radio frequency (RF) output. A series of frequency dividers at another frequency output permits operation from 53.125 MHz to 6800 MHz.
The ADF5356 has an integrated VCO with a fundamental output frequency ranging from 3400 MHz to 6800 MHz. In addition, the VCO frequency is connected to divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 circuits that allow the user to generate RF output frequencies as low as 53.125 MHz. For applications that require isolation, the RF output stage can be muted. The mute function is both pin- and software-controllable.
Control of all on-chip registers is through a simple 3-wire interface. The ADF5356 operates with analog and digital power supplies ranging from 3.15 V to 3.45 V, with charge pump and VCO supplies from 4.75 V to 5.25 V. The ADF5356 also contains hardware and software power-down modes.
- Wireless infrastructure (LTE, W-CDMA, TD-SCDMA, WiMAX, GSM, PCS, DCS)
- Point to point and point to multipoint microwave links
- Satellites and very small aperture terminals (VSATs)
- Test equipment and instrumentation
- Clock generation
Markets & Technology
- Aerospace and Defense
- Instrumentation & Measurement
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-ADF5356SD1Z evaluates the performance of the ADF5356 frequency synthesizer with integrated VCO for phase-locked loops (PLLs). The evaluation board contains the ADF5356 synthesizer with integrated VCO, a differential 122.88 MHz reference TCXO, a loop filter, a USB interface, power supply connectors, and subminiature Version A (SMA) connectors. A USB cable is included to connect the board to a PC USB port.
For easy programming of the synthesizer, download the Windows®-based software from www.analog.com/ADF5356.
This board requires an SDP-S controller board that is not supplied with the kit. The SDP-S controller board allows software programming of the ADF5356 device.
For full details on the ADF5356, see the ADF5356 data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with UG-1087 when using this evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Self contained board, including ADF5356 frequency synthesizer with integrated voltage controlled oscillator (VCO), differential 122.88 MHz temperature controlled crystal oscillator (TCXO), loop filter (5 kHz), USB interface, and voltage regulators
- Windows-based software allows control of synthesizer functions from a PC
- Externally powered by 6 V
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPLL enables the rapid and reliable evaluation of new high performance PLL products from ADI. It is the most comprehensive PLL Synthesizer design and simulation tool available today. Simulations performed include all key non-linear effects that are significant in affecting PLL performance. ADIsimPLL removes at least one iteration from the design process, thereby speeding the design- to-market.
Product Selection Guide (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.