Features and Benefits
- Low power dissipation
- 400 μW at 500 kSPS typical (VDD only)
- 700 μW at 500 kSPS typical (total)
- 18-bit resolution with no missing codes
- Throughput: 100 kSPS
- INL: ±1 LSB typical, 2 LSB maximum
- SNR: 98 dB at 1 kHz, VREF = 5 V typical
- SINAD: 97 dB at 1 kHz typical
- THD: −120 dB at 10 kHz typical
- Dynamic range: 99 dB at VREF = 5 V typical
- True differential analog input voltage range: ±VREF
- 0 V to VREF with VREF between 2.4 V and 5.1 V
- No pipeline delay
- Single-supply 2.5 V operation with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic interface
- Proprietary serial interface SPI-/QSPI™-/MICROWIRE™-/DSP-compatible
- Ability to daisy-chain multiple ADCs
- 10-lead MSOP and 3 mm × 3 mm 10-Lead LFCSP
The AD7989-1/AD7989-5 are 18-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) that operate from a single power supply, VDD. The AD7989-1/AD7989-5 contain a low power, high speed, 18-bit sampling ADC and a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, the AD7989-1/AD7989-5 sample the voltage difference between the IN+ and IN− pins. The voltages on these pins typically swing in opposite phases between 0 V and VREF. The reference voltage, VREF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD. Its power scales linearly with throughput.
The AD7989-1/AD7989-5 are serial peripheral interface (SPI)- compatible, which features the ability, using the SDI/CS input, to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus. The AD7989-1/AD7989-5 are compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, and 5 V logic, using the separate VIO supply.
The AD7989-1/AD7989-5 are available in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Battery-powered equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Seismic data acquisition systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7989-5SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7989-1 and AD7989-5. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the System Development Platform . When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7989-1 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM3401.
Recommended External Voltage References
Product Selection Guide (1)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.