Features and Benefits
- Complete Backup Battery Manager for Li-Ion/Polymer, Lead Acid, NiMH/NiCd Batteries and Super Capacitors
- Charge and Discharge Battery with Voltages Above and Below the Input Supply Voltage
- “No Heat” Battery Calibration Discharge Using System Load
- Automatic Battery Backup with Input Supply Removal Using PowerPath™ Control
- Standalone for Li-Ion/Polymer, SLA, and Supercaps
- Optional SMBus/I2C Support Allows Battery Capacity Calibration Operation with Host
- Over- and Under-Battery Voltage Protection
- Adjustable Battery Float Voltage
- Precision Charge Voltage ±0.5%
- Programmable Charge/Calibration Current Up to 3A with ±3% Accuracy
- Optional Temperature Qualiﬁed Charging
- Wide Backup Battery Supply Range: 2.7V to 19V
- Wide Input Supply Range: 4.5V to 19V
- 38-Lead (5mm × 7mm) QFN Package
The LTC4110 is a complete single chip, high efficiency, ﬂyback battery charge and discharge manager with automatic switchover between the input supply and the backup battery or super capacitor. The IC provides four modes of operation: battery backup, battery charge, battery calibration and shutdown. Battery backup and battery charge are automatic standalone modes, while the optional calibration mode requires a CPU host to communicate over an SMBus. During calibration the ﬂyback charger is used in reverse to discharge the battery with a programmable constant current into the system load eliminating heat generation. Three status outputs can be individually reconfigured over the SMBus to become GPIOs. User programmable over-discharge protection is provided. The SHDN pin isolates the battery to support shipping the product with a charged battery installed.
Multiple LTC4110s can be combined to form a redundant battery backup system or increase the number of battery packs to achieve longer backup run times.
The LTC4110 is available in a low proﬁle (0.75mm), 38-pin 5mm × 7mm QFN package. The QFN features an exposed metal die mount pad for optimum thermal performance.
- Backup Battery Systems
- Server Memory Backup
- Medical Equipment
- High Reliability Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit DC1259A is a single-battery battery- backup controller featuring the LTC4110. The LTC4110 controller provides all the features and functions to offer a complete standalone battery-backup system. The LTC4110 is a multi-chemistry flyback battery charger and discharger that is scalable with other LTC4110s to allow a larger battery array for increased capacity and/or redundancy.
The demo board requires a 12V input voltage and is initially configured to charge a 3 Li-Ion Smart Battery at 1A; the charge voltage is 12.6V. However, the Demo board can be easily configured for a standard battery as well. A SMBus interface is offered to allow host communications in control and status and/or support Smart Batteries. However, no host is required to use the LTC4110.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.