Features and Benefits
- Single Chip Smart Battery Charger Controller
- 100% Compliant (Rev. 1.1) SMBus Support Allows for Operation with or without Host
- SMBus Accelerator Improves SMBus Timing
- Wide Output Voltage Range: 3.5V to 26V
- Hardware Interrupt and SMBAlert Response Eliminate Interrupt Polling
- High Efficiency Synchronous Buck Charger
- 0.5V Dropout Voltage; Maximum Duty Cycle > 98%
- AC Adapter Current Limit Maximizes Charge Rate
- ±0.8% Voltage Accuracy; ±4% Current Accuracy
- Up to 4A Charging Current Capability
- 10-Bit DAC for Charge Current Programming
- 11-Bit DAC for Charger Voltage Programming
- User-Selectable Overvoltage and Overcurrent Limits
- High Noise Immunity SafetySignal Sensor
- Available in a 24-Pin SSOP Package
The LTC4100 Smart Battery Charger is a single chip charging solution that dramatically simplifies construction of an SBS compliant system. The LTC4100 implements a Level 2 charger function whereby the charger can be programmed by the battery or by the host. A SafetySignal on the battery being charged is monitored for temperature, connectivity and battery type information. The SMBus interface remains alive when the AC power adapter is removed and responds to all SMBus activity directed to it, including SafetySignal status (via the ChargerStatus command). The charger also provides an interrupt to the host whenever a status change is detected (e.g., battery removal, AC adapter connection).
Charging current and voltage are restricted to chemistry specific limits for improved system safety and reliability. Limits are programmable by two external resistors. Additionally, the maximum average current from the AC adapter is programmable to avoid overloading the adapter when simultaneously supplying load current and charging current. When supplying system load current, charging current is automatically reduced to prevent adapter overload.
- Portable Instruments and Computers
- Data Storage Systems and Battery Backup Servers
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit DC512B is a single battery switching step-down charge controller featuring the LTC4100. The recommended input power is 15 to 20V at 3.5A. A two-position jumper allows choice of protected output voltage range suitable for 3- and 4-Cell Li-ion batteries. Removal of the jumper allows full output voltage range. The maximum charge current is 4A.
The demo board is initially configured for 12.6V at 3A for popular 3-cell Li-ion battery packs. LTC4100 will automatically charge a Smart Battery to termination as soon as input power is applied with a battery connected prior to power up. A VOUT pin automatically provides power to the system load from the wall adapter or battery. Status LEDs are provided for CHG, ACP, SMBALERT and SMBus activity.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.