Features and Benefits
- Simple Design to Charge NiCd, NiMH and Lithium Rechargeable Batteries—Charging Current Programmed by Resistors or DAC
- Adapter Current Loop Allows Maximum Possible Charging Current During Computer Use
- Precision 0.5% Accuracy for Voltage Mode Charging
- High Efficiency Current Mode PWM with 4A Internal Switch
- 5% Charging Current Accuracy
- Adjustable Undervoltage Lockout
- Automatic Shutdown When AC Adapter is Removed
- Low Reverse Battery Drain Current: 3µA
- Current Sensing Can Be at Either Terminal of the Battery
- Charging Current Soft Start
- Shutdown Control
The LT1511 current mode PWM battery charger is the simplest, most efficient solution to fast charge modern rechargeable batteries including lithium-ion (Li-Ion), nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) and nickel-cadmium (NiCd) that require constant-current and/or constant-voltage charging. The internal switch is capable of delivering 3A* DC current (4A peak current). Full-charging current can be programmed by resistors or a DAC to within 5%. With 0.5% reference voltage accuracy, the LT1511 meets the critical constant-voltage charging requirement for Li-Ion cells.
A third control loop is provided to regulate the current drawn from the AC adapter. This allows simultaneous operation of the equipment and battery charging without overloading the adapter. Charging current is reduced to keep the adapter current within specified levels.
The LT1511 can charge batteries ranging from 1V to 20V. Ground sensing of current is not required and the battery’s negative terminal can be tied directly to ground. A saturating switch running at 200kHz gives high charging efficiency and small inductor size. A blocking diode is not required between the chip and the battery because the chip goes into sleep mode and drains only 3µA when the wall adapter is unplugged.
* See LT1510 for 1.5A Charger
- Chargers for NiCd, NiMH, Lead-Acid, Lithium
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Switching Regulators with Precision Current Limit
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Design Notes (5)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.