Features and Benefits
- Powerful and flexible cache architecture suitable for soft real-time control tasks and industry-standard operating systems, plus hard real-time signal processing tasks
- Applications-tuned peripherals provide glueless connectivity to general-purpose converters in data acquisition applications
- Enhanced Dynamic Power Management with on-chip voltage regulation
- High performance 16-/32-bit embedded processor core
- 10-stage RISC MCU/DSP pipeline with mixed 16-/32-bit ISA for optimal code density
- Full SIMD architecture, including instructions for accelerated video and image processing
- Memory Management Unit (MMU) supporting full memory protection for an isolated and secure environment
The Blackfin® Processor family has been expanded to address the ever-increasing need for more connection possibilities with two new family members. This connectivity is coupled with the high performance 16-/32-bit Blackfin embedded processor core, the flexible cache architecture, the enhanced DMA subsystem, and the Dynamic Power Management (DPM) functionality. System designers can take advantage of the combined control and signal processing capabilities of the processor core across a wide range of end applications through code compatibility of these new family members with existing Blackfin offerings.
The ADSP-BF538 is a functional extension of the popular ADSP-BF533 processor, and is ideally suited for applications with multiple device connections. The ADSP-BF538 offers equivalent embedded memory and is well suited for applications such as video security/surveillance and industrial-environment-based distributed control/factory automation applications. Ideally suited for a broad range of industrial, instrumentation and medical appliance applications—allowing for broad connection possibilities coupled with a mix of control and signal processing needs based on the end product.
Designed as an Integrated System
In addition to the embedded connectivity of CAN, the ADSP-BF538 processors include a variety of general purpose functions designed to minimize external IC count and offer broad control and communication. Peripherals include three SPI®-compatible ports, three UARTs, four SPORT ports, three multifunction timers, 54 general-purpose I/Os, dual Two-Wire Interface for I2C operation, a real-time clock, a watchdog timer, an event controller, and a JTAG/debug interface. The flexible Parallel Peripheral Interface (PPI) offers a direct connection to a variety of video encoders/ decoders, display drivers, image sensors, and general-purpose converters.
Blackfin Processors are supported by:
Analog Devices CROSSCORE® brand of industry leading development tools. The CROSSCORE components include the VisualDSP++® software development environment, EZ-KIT Lite® evaluation systems, EZ-Extender™ daughter boards, and PCI-based or USB-based emulators.
Green Hills® Software award-winning MULTI® Embedded Software Development Environment and associated emulators.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (3)
The Analog Devices ICE-1000 and ICE-2000 emulators facilitate the creation, test, and debug of advanced applications on Analog Devices Processors and DSPs. Working in tandem with the CrossCore® Embedded Studio development environment, these emulators provide state-of-the-art support for all JTAG-compliant Analog Devices processors.
New debug feature added for the ICE-1000/ICE-2000:
- Coresight Serial Wire Debug (SWD)
Features & Benefits
- JTAG/SWD support for Blackfin, Blackfin+, SHARC and multi-core SHARC+ with ARM
- Plug-n-Play, USB 2.0 compliant
- USB bus-powered device
- Windows® 8.1, Window 7 compatible
- Multiple processor I/O voltage support: 1.8V, 2.5V, and 3.3V
- Multiprocessor support
- JTAG/SWD clock operation of 5 MHz on the ICE-1000
- JTAG/SWD clock operation up to 46 MHZ on the ICE-2000
- Multi-colored LED for enhanced status indication
- Software controlled target reset to support remote debug
EMULATOR-USB & HP USB ICE
Analog Devices’ cost-effective Universal Serial Bus (USB)-based emulator and High performance (HP) Universal Serial Bus (USB)-based emulator each provide an easy, portable, non-intrusive, target-based debugging solution for Analog Devices JTAG processors and DSPs. These powerful USB-based emulators perform a wide range of emulation functions, including single-step and full speed execution with pre-defined breakpoints, and viewing and/or altering of register and memory contents. With the ability to automatically detect and support multiple I/O voltages, the USB and HP USB emulators enable users to communicate with all of the Analog Devices JTAG processors and DSPs using either a full speed USB 1.1 or high speed USB 2.0 port on the host PC. Applications and data can easily and rapidly be tested and transferred between the emulators and the separately available VisualDSP++ development and debugging environment(sold separately).
The plug-and-play architecture of USB allows the emulators to be automatically detected and configured by the host operating system. It can also be connected to and disconnected from the host without opening the PC or turning off the power to the PC. A 3-meter cable is included to connect the emulators to the host PC, thus providing abundant accessibility to hard to reach targets.
The HP USB-based emulator also supports the Background
Telemetry Channel (BTC), a non-intrusive method
for exchanging data between the host and target
application without affecting the target system's
Part Number: ADZS-USB-ICE
High Performance USB-Based Emulator
Part Number: ADZS-HPUSB-ICE
Tel: 1-800-ANALOGD (262-5643)
For additional information, contact your local Analog Devices Sales Office or Distributor.
Features & Benefits
- Full speed USB 1.1 interface enabling download speeds of up to 150 KB/Sec (ADZS-USB-ICE) or High speed USB 2.0 interface enabling download speeds of up to 1.5MB/sec (ADZS-HPUSB-ICE)
- Background Telemetry Channel (BTC) support enabling non-intrusive data exchange at up to 2.0 MB/sec (ADZS-HPUSB-ICE only)
- 1.8V, 2.5V, and 3.3V compliant and tolerant
- Support for all ADI JTAG processors and DSPs
- 5V tolerant and 3.3V compliant for 5V processors and DSPs
- Multiprocessor support
- 14-pin JTAG connector
- 3-meter USB cable for difficult-to-reach targets
The ADSP-BF538F EZ-KIT Lite® provides developers with a cost-effective method for initial evaluation of the ADSP-BF538F Blackfin® Processors via a USB-based, PC-hosted tool set. With this EZ-KIT Lite, users can learn more about the Analog Devices (ADI) ADSP-BF538F hardware and software development, and quickly prototype a wide range of applications.
The EZ-KIT Lite includes an ADSP-BF538F Blackfin Processor desktop evaluation board along with an evaluation suite of the VisualDSP++® development and debugging environment, including the C/C++ compiler, assembler, and linker. The evaluation suite of VisualDSP++ is designed to be used with the EZ-KIT Lite only.
Part number: ADZS-BF538F-EZLITE
CROSSCORE® Tools Support
Application Notes (51)
User Guides (7)
Processor Manuals (3)
Software Manuals (17)
Software & Systems Requirements
Software & Tools Anomalies
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.