Features and Benefits
- High accuracy; supports IEC 60687/61036/61268 and IEC 62053-21/62053-22/62053-23
- On-chip digital integrator enables direct interface to current sensors with di/dt output
- A PGA in the current channel allows direct interface to shunts and current transformers
- Active, reactive, and apparent energy; sampled waveform; current and voltage rms
- Less than 0.1% error in active energy measurement over a dynamic range of 1000 to 1 at 25°C
- Positive-only energy accumulation mode available
- On-chip user programmable threshold for line voltage surge and SAG and PSU supervisory
- Digital calibration for power, phase, and input offset
- On-chip temperature sensor (±3°C typical)
- SPI® compatible serial interface
- Pulse output with programmable frequency
- Interrupt request pin (IRQ) and status register
The ADE7753 features proprietary ADCs and DSP for high accuracy over large variations in environmental conditions and time. The ADE7753 incorporates two second-order 16-bit Σ-Δ ADCs, a digital integrator (on CH1), reference circuitry, temperature sensor, and all the signal processing required to perform active, reactive, and apparent energy measurements, line-voltage period measurement, and rms calculation on the voltage and current. The selectable on-chip digital integrator provides direct interface to di/dt current sensors such as Rogowski coils, eliminating the need for an external analog integrator and resulting in excellent long-term stability and precise phase matching between the current and voltage channels.
The ADE7753 provides a serial interface to read data, and a pulse output frequency (CF), which is proportional to the active power. Various system calibration features, i.e., channel offset correction, phase calibration, and power calibration, ensure high accuracy. The part also detects short duration low or high voltage variations. The positive-only accumulation mode gives the option to accumulate energy only when positive power is detected. An internal no-load threshold ensures that the part does not exhibit any creep when there is no load. The zero-crossing output (ZX) produces a pulse that is synchronized to the zero-crossing point of the line voltage. This signal is used internally in the line cycle active and apparent energy accumulation modes, which enables faster calibration.
The interrupt status register indicates the nature of the interrupt, and the interrupt enable register controls which event produces an output on the IRQ pin, an open-drain, active low logic output. The ADE7753 is available in a 20-lead SSOP package.
NOTE: For polyphase system designs, the ADE7758 is recommended.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The evaluation board was designed so that the ADE7753 can be evaluated in the end application, i.e., watt-hour meter. Using the appropriate transducers on the current channel, e.g., di/dt sensor, CT, and shunt, the evaluation board can be connected to a test bench or high voltage (240 V rms) test circuit. An onboard resistor divider network provides the attenuation for the line voltage. This document also describes how the current transducers should be connected for the best performance. The ADE7753 has a built-in digital integrator that allows for simple interfacing with any di/dt sensor (such as the Rogowski coil).
The evaluation board (watt-hour meter) is configured and calibrated via the parallel port of a PC. The data interface between the evaluation board and the PC is fully isolated. Windows® based software is provided with the evaluation board so it can be configured quickly as an energy meter.
The evaluation board also functions as a standalone evaluation system, which can be incorporated easily into an existing system via a 25-way D-Sub connector.
The evaluation board requires two external 5 V power supplies (one is required for isolation purposes) and the appropriate current transducer.
Features & Benefits
- Evaluation board is designed to be used together with accompanying software to implement a fully functional energy meter (watt-hour meter)
- Easy connection of various external transducers via screw terminals
- Easy modification of signal conditioning components using PCB sockets
- LED indicators on logic outputs CF, ZX, SAG, and IRQ
- Optically isolated data output connection to PC parallel port
- Optically isolated frequency output (CF) to BNC
- External reference option available for on-chip reference evaluation
Associations & Standards (18)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
Technical Articles (12)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.