Energy Metering IC with Autocalibration
Features and Benefits
- mSure sensor monitoring
- Noninvasive, real-time, direct, precision measurement of the input signal path
- Detects changes in meter accuracy and amount of drift over the life of the meter
- Identifies sensor malfunction
- Enables advanced tamper detection methods
- Companion MCU firmware to facilitate diagnostic data reporting
- Supported for shunts on the phase line and CTs on the neutral line
- mSure self-calibration
- Self-calibration based on a direct measurement of the full signal path
- Calibration procedure not requiring a reference meter
- 3 high performance ADCs
- 86 dB SNR
- High gain current channel: ±26.04 mV peak, 18.4 mV rms input at highest gain setting
- Advanced metrology feature set
- Watt, VAR, VA, Wh, VARh, and VAh
- Supports active energy standards: IEC 62053-21; IEC 62053-22; EN50470-3; OIML R46; and ANSI C12.20
- Supports reactive energy standards: IEC 62053-23 and IEC 62053-24
- Current and voltage rms measurement
- Operating temperature, industrial range: −40°C to +85°C
- Integrated temperature sensor with a 12-bit successive approximation register (SAR) ADC
The ADE9153B1 is a highly accurate, single-phase, energy metering IC with sensor monitoring and self-calibration. Sensor monitoring with mSure® technology allows meter health monitoring and advanced tamper detection. The monitoring feature allows the user to check the overall accuracy of the sensor and signal path to identify accuracy drifts that occur over time on the current and voltage channels, independently. Similarly, mSure offers advanced tamper detection with the ability to detect unusual changes on the sensors. mSure runs in parallel to the metering measurements, allowing uninterrupted and unaffected metrology in the ADE9153B. Self-calibration with mSure enables a meter to automatically calibrate the current and voltage channels without accurate reference meters or accurate sources when a shunt resistor is used as the current sensor. The self-calibration feature supports Class 1 and Class 2 meters.
The ADE9153B includes three high performance analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), providing an 88 dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). The ADE9153B offers accurate measurement of line voltage and current, and calculates active, fundamental reactive, and apparent energy, as well as rms. A wide range of power quality information is included, such as dip and swell detection. Current Channel A is ideal for shunts and has a flexible gain stage providing full-scale input ranges from 62.5 mV peak down to 26.04 mV peak. Current Channel B has gain stages of 1×, 2×, and 4× for use with current transformers (CTs). A high speed, 10 MHz, serial peripheral interface (SPI) port allows access to the ADE9153B registers.
1 Protected by U.S. Patents 8,350,558; 8,010,304; WO2013038176 A3; 0113507 A1; 0253102 A1; 0354266 A1; and 0154029 A1.
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The mSure enabled, ADE9153EVK evaluation kit includes a full featured single phase energy meter with Class 0.5 meter accuracy. mSure is a diagnostics technology residing in the ADE9153B that enables direct and non-invasive monitoring of the energy meter accuracy and faults in real time. The kit contains the ADE9153B, the STM32F103RE ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller that manages the ADE9153B, the LCD display, the RTC, the 64kB FRAM and the isolated RS485 communication with the PC.
The kit allows the performance of the mSure technology and of the ADE9153B to be evaluated in the context of a single phase meter implementation. In standalone mode, the energy meter measures the metrology parameters: active, reactive and apparent energies, current and voltage rms values. The FRAM is used to store information provided by the ADE9153B mSure manager.
The kit may also be managed by the LabView™ based evaluation software. It provides the means to evaluate the mSure and the ADE9153B performance.
Features & Benefits
- mSure Enabled, Full Featured, Single Phase Energy Meter with the ADE9153B
- Real time meter health monitoring using mSure manager
- Class 0.5 accuracy
- Line and Neutral measurements
- Imax = 60A, Inominal = 6A
- LCD and CF outputs
- Voltage RMS, Current RMS, Active, Fundamental Reactive and Apparent Power and Energy measurements
- Power quality measurements
- Dip , Swell
- Frequency, Power Factor
- mSure Manager for analyzing and reporting mSure diagnostic and health data
- PC control using an isolated RS485 port
- PC software for full control of the ADE9153B
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.