Features and Benefits
- Single +3 V Supply Operation (2.7 V to 3.6 V)
- SNR = 70 dBc to Nyquist at 65 MSPS
- SFDR = 85 dBc to Nyquist at 65 MSPS
- Low Power: 300 mW at 65 MSPS
- On-Chip Reference and SHA
- Differential Input with 500 MHz Bandwidth
- DNL of ±0.4 LSB
- Flexible Analog Input: 1 Vp-p to 2 Vp-p
- Offset Binary or Twos Complement Data Format
- Clock Duty Cycle Stabilizer
- Pin out Migration to Either AD9215, AD9236, AD9245
The AD9235 is a family of monolithic, single 3 V supply, 12-bit, 20/40/65 MSPS analog-to-digital converters. This family features a high performance sample-and-hold amplifier (SHA) and voltage reference. The AD9235 uses a multistage differential pipelined architecture with output error correction logic to provide 12-bit accuracy at 20/40/65 MSPS data rates and guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The wide bandwidth, truly differential SHA allows a variety of user-selectable input ranges and offsets including single-ended applications. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. Combined with power and cost savings over previously available analog-to-digital converters, the AD9235 is suitable for applications in communications, imaging, and medical ultrasound.
A single-ended clock input is used to control all internal conversion cycles. A duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent overall ADC performance. The digital output data is presented in straight binary or twos complement formats. An out-of-range (OTR) signal indicates an overflow condition that can be used with the most significant bit to determine low or high overflow.
Fabricated on an advanced CMOS process, the AD9235 is available in a 28-lead thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP) and a 32-lead chip scale package (LFCSP) and is specified over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C).
- Ultrasound equipment
- IF sampling in communications receivers
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand-held scopemeters
- Low cost digital oscilloscopes
- The AD9235 operates from a single 3 V power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 2.5 V and 3.3 V logic families.
- Operating at 65 MSPS, the AD9235 consumes a low 300 mW.
- The patented SHA input maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 100 MHz and can be configured for single-ended or differential operation.
- The AD9235 pinout is similar to the AD9214-65, a 10-bit, 65 MSPS ADC. This allows a simplified upgrade path from 10 bits to 12 bits for 65 MSPS systems.
- The clock DCS maintains overall ADC performance over a wide range of clock pulse widths.
- The OTR output bit indicates when the signal is beyond the selected input range.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Application Notes (16)
Tools & Simulations
AD9235 IBIS Models
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
AD9235 Companion Parts
Recommended ADC Drivers
Recommended Clock Drivers
Recommended External Reference
- For improved thermal drift and gain accuracy: ADR130.
Technical Articles (6)
Rarely Asked Questions (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.