Features and Benefits
- 18-bit resolution with no missing codes
- Throughput: 2 MSPS (TURBO = high), 1.5 MSPS (TURBO = low)
- Low power dissipation
- 15 mW at 2 MSPS, with external reference
- 26 mW at 2 MSPS with internal reference
- INL: ±1 LSB typical, ±2.5 LSB maximum
- 95.5 dB, with on-chip reference
- 97.0 dB, with external reference
- 4.096 V internal reference: typical drift of 10 ppm/°C
- True differential analog input voltage range: ±VREF
- 0 V to VREF with VREF up to 5.0 V
- Allows use of any input range
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD7986 is an 18-bit, 2 MSPS successive approximation, analog-to-digital converter (ADC). It contains a low power, high speed, 18-bit sampling ADC, an internal conversion clock, an internal reference (and buffer), error correction circuits, and a versatile serial interface port. On the rising edge of CNV, the AD7986 samples the voltage difference between the IN+ and IN− pins. The voltages on these pins usually swing in opposite phases between 0 V and VREF. It features a very high sampling rate turbo mode (TURBO = high) and a reduced power normal mode (TURBO = low) for low power applications where the power is scaled with the throughput.
In normal mode (TURBO = low), the SPI-compatible serial interface also features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisychain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus and provide an optional busy indicator. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, and 2.7 V using the separate VIO supply.
The AD7986 is available in a 20-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Battery-powered equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Seismic data acquisition systems
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7986FMCZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7986. This board operates in conjunction with the system development platform board, EVAL-SDP-CH1Z. When operated with the system development platform board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the performance of the ADC. This software has an accompanying user guide describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board when operated with the system development platform board.
Tools & Simulations
Precision ADC Driver Tool
The Precision ADC Driver Tool is a web application that simulates the performance of precision ADC and driver combinations. Potential issues with driver selection, kickback settling, and distortion are flagged, and design tradeoffs can be quickly evaluated. Simulations and calculations include system noise, distortion, and settling of the ADC input
AD7986 Companion Parts
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM3401.
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation: ADUM4401.
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation: ADUM1401.
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V): ADUM3481.
Recommended External Voltage References
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (3)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.