Features and Benefits
- 16-bit resolution and monotonicity
- DPC for thermal management
- Current/voltage output available on a single terminal
- Current output ranges: 0 mA to 20 mA, 4 mA to 20 mA, 0 mA to 24 mA, ±20 mA, ±24 mA, −1 mA to +22 mA
- Voltage output ranges (with 20% overrange): 0 V to 5 V, 0 V to 10 V, ±5 V, and ±10 V
- User-programmable offset and gain
- Advanced On-chip diagnostics including a 12-bit ADC
- On-chip reference
- Robust architecture, including output fault protection
- −40°C to +115°C temperature range
- 32-lead, 5 mm × 5 mm LFCSP package
The AD5758 is a single-channel, voltage and current output digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that operates with a power supply range from −33 V (minimum) on AVSS to +33 V (maximum) on AVDD1 with a maximum operating voltage between the two rails of 60 V. On-chip dynamic power control (DPC) minimizes package power dissipation, which is achieved by regulating the supply voltage (VDPC+) to the VIOUT output driver circuitry from 5 V to 27 V using a buck dc-to-dc converter, optimized for minimum on-chip power dissipation. The CHART pin enables a HART® signal to be coupled onto the current output.
The device uses a versatile 4-wire serial peripheral interface (SPI) that operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and is compatible with standard SPI, QSPI™, MICROWIRE™, DSP, and microcontroller interface standards. The interface also features an optional SPI cyclic redundancy check (CRC) and a watchdog timer (WDT). The AD5758 offers improved diagnostic features from its predecessors, such as output current monitoring and an integrated 12-bit diagnostic analog-to-digital converter (ADC). Additional robustness is provided by the inclusion of a fault protection switch on the VIOUT, +VSENSE, and −VSENSE pins.
- Range of diagnostic features, including integrated ADC.
- DPC, using an integrated buck dc-to-dc converter for thermal management, enabling higher channel count in smaller size module housing.
- Programmable power control (PPC) mode to enable faster settling time (15 μs typical).
- 16-bit performance.
- HART compliant.
- Process control
- Actuator control
- Channel isolated analog outputs
- Programmable logic controller (PLC) and distributed control systems (DCS) applications
- HART network connectivity
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This user guide describes the evaluation board for the AD5758, a functional safety certified, single-channel, voltage and current output, digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with on-chip dynamic power control (DPC) that minimizes package power dissipation.
For full details on the AD5758, refer to the AD5758 data sheet. Consult the data sheet when using the EVAL-AD5758SDZ. The configuration of the various link options is explained in the Evaluation Board Hardware section. The installation of the companion software is discussed in the Software Quick Start Procedures section.
The EVAL-AD5758SDZ, shown in Figure 1, requires the EVALSDP-CS1Z board. The EVAL-AD5758SDZ interfaces to the USB port of the PC via the EVAL-SDP-CS1Z board. Software that allows the user to easily program the AD5758, namely the Analysis|Control|Evaluation (ACE) software, is available with the EVAL-AD5758SDZ.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD5758
- On board 2.5V ADR4525 reference
- Serial port interface (SPI)
- ACE software for control
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.