The AD7656/AD7657/AD7658 contain six 16-/14-/12-bit, fast, low power, successive approximation ADCs all in the one package that is designed on the iCMOS™ process (industrial CMOS). iCMOS is a process combining high voltage silicon with submicron CMOS and complementary bipolar technologies. It enables the development of a wide range of high performance analog ICs, capable of 33 V operation in a footprint that no previous generation of high voltage parts could achieve. Unlike analog ICs using conventional CMOS processes, iCMOS components can accept bipolar input signals while providing increased performance, which dramatically reduces power consumption and package size.
The AD7656/AD7657/AD7658 feature throughput rates up to 250 kSPS. The parts contain low noise, wide bandwidth, track-and-hold amplifiers that can handle input frequencies up to 12 MHz.
The conversion process and data acquisition are controlled using CONVST signals and an internal oscillator. Three CONVST pins allow independent, simultaneous sampling of the three ADC pairs. The AD7656/AD7657/AD7658 all have a high speed parallel and serial interface, allowing the devices to interface with microprocessors or DSPs. In serial interface mode, the parts have a daisy-chain feature that allows multiple ADCs to connect to a single serial interface. The AD7656/ AD7657/AD7658 can accommodate true bipolar input signals in the ±4 × VREF range and ±2 × VREF range. The AD7656/ AD7657/AD7658 also contain an on-chip 2.5 V reference.
Please visit next generation product AD7606. Recommended for new designs is the AD7656A pin for pin compatible device with improved PSS robustness. For reduced decoupling requirements visit the AD7656-1 or AD7656A-1 product page.
- Six 16-/14-/12-bit, 250 kSPS ADCs on board.
- Six true bipolar, high impedance analog inputs.
- Parallel and high speed serial interfaces.
- Power line monitoring systems
- Instrumentation and control systems
- Multi-axis positioning systems
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The EVAL-AD7656SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7656. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the Evaluation Controller board . When operated with the Evaluation Controller board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the Evaluation Controller board.
Recommended High Accuracy, Precision References - 2.5V
- For cost sensitive applications , we recommend the AD1582 or the ADR391 .
- For applications requiring the lowest noise performance and output trim adjust , we recommend the ADR441 .
- For wide supply applications , we recommend the AD780 .
- For high accuracy, low noise, low temperature drift , we recommend the ADR421 or the ADR431 .
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For 16 bit applications driving large capacitive loads , we recommend the AD8610 or the ADA4627-1 .
- For 16-bit ADC drivers requiring high speed and low noise , we recommend the AD8021 or the ADA4899-1 .
- For 16 bit applications requiring ultra low noise, low distortion , we recommend the AD8597 or the AD8599 .
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Emerging Energy Applications Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10, Issue 4
MS-2210: Designing Power Supplies for High Speed ADC
High-Performance Multichannel Power-Line Monitoring with...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.