Features and Benefits
- General Purpose Charger Controller
- High Conversion Efficiency: Up to 96%
- Output Currents Exceeding 4A
- ±0.8% Voltage Accuracy
- AC Adapter Current Limiting Maximizes Charge Rate
- Thermistor Input for Temperature Qualified Charging
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 6V to 28V
- Wide Output Voltage: 3V to 28V
- 0.5V Dropout Voltage; Maximum Duty Cycle: 98%
- Programmable Charge Current: ±4% Accuracy
- Indicator Outputs for Charging, C/10 Current Detection, AC Adapter Present, Input Current Limiting and Faults
- Charging Current Monitor Output
- Available in a 20-Pin Narrow SSOP Package
The LTC4008 is a constant-current/constant-voltage charger controller. The PWM controller uses a synchronous, quasi-constant frequency, constant off-time architecture that will not generate audible noise even when using ceramic capacitors. Charging current is programmable with a sense resistor and programming resistor to ±4% typical accuracy. Charging current can be monitored as a voltage across the programming resistor. An external resistor divider and precision internal reference set the final float voltage.
The LTC4008 includes a thermistor sensor input that will suspend charging if an unsafe temperature condition is detected and will automatically resume charging when battery temperature returns to within safe limits; a FAULT pin indicates this condition. A FLAG pin indicates when charging current has decreased below 10% of the programmed current. An external sense resistor programs AC adapter current limiting. The pin indicates when the charging current is being reduced by input current limiting so that the charging algorithm can adapt.
- Notebook Computers
- Portable Instruments
- Battery Backup Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.