Features and Benefits
- SMBus Charger/Selector for Two Smart Batteries*
- Voltage and Current Accuracy within 0.2% of Value Reported by Battery
- Simplifies Construction of “Smart Battery System Manager”
- Includes All SMBus Charger V1.1 Safety Features
- Supports Autonomous Operation without a Host
- Allows Both Batteries to Discharge Simultaneously into Single Load with Low Loss (Ideal Diode)
- SMBus Switching for Dual Batteries with Alarm Monitoring for Charging Battery at All Times
- Pin Programmable Limits for Maximum Charge Current and Voltage Improve Safety
- Fast Autonomous Power Path™ Switching (<10µs)
- Low Loss Simultaneous Charging of Two Batteries
- >95% Efficient Synchronous Buck Charger
- AC Adapter Current Limiting* Maximizes Charge Rate
- SMBus Accelerator Improves SMBus Timing**
- Available in 48-Lead TSSOP Package
The LTC1760 Smart Battery System Manager is a highly-integrated SMBus Level 3 battery charger and selector intended for products using dual smart batteries. Three SMBus interfaces allow the LTC1760 to servo to the internal voltage and currents measured by the batteries while allowing an SMBus Host device to monitor either battery’s status. Charging accuracy is determined by the battery’s internal voltage and current measurements, typically better than ±0.2%.
A proprietary PowerPath architecture supports simultaneous charging or discharging of both batteries. Typical battery run times are extended by up to 10%, while charging times are reduced by up to 50%. The LTC1760 automatically switches between power sources in less than 10μs to prevent power interruption upon battery or wall adapter removal.
The LTC1760 implements all elements of a version 1.1 “Smart Battery System Manager” except for the generation of composite battery information. An internal multiplexer cleanly switches the SMBus Host to either of the two attached Smart Batteries without generating partial messages to batteries or SMBus Host. Thermistors on both batteries are automatically monitored for temperature and disconnection information (SafetySignal).
- Portable Computers and Instruments
- Standalone Dual Smart Battery Chargers
- Battery Backup Systems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit 486B is a dual Smart Battery PowerPath and charger controller featuring the LTC1760. The input voltage is 12 to 20V. The charger output voltage is programmed SMBus serial interface. The maximum charge current is 4A. The demo board has been optimized to work with 2, 3 and 4- Cell Li-ion battery packs. A jumper is provided to select trip for low battery voltage (LOBAT), VLIMIT (VLIM), and ILIMIT (ILIM). The LTC1760 follows the Smart Battery Standards for the Smart Battery System Manager (SBSM) specification.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.