Features and Benefits
- 8 channels of LNA, VGA, AAF, ADC, and digital RF decimator
- Low power: 150 mW per channel, TGC mode, 40 MSPS; 62.5 mW per channel, CW mode; <30 mW in power-down
- Time gain compensation (TGC) channel input referred noise: 0.82 nV/√Hz, maximum gain
- Flexible power-down modes
- Fast recovery from low power standby mode: <2 μs
- Low noise preamplifier (LNA)
- Input referred noise voltage: 0.78 nV/√Hz, gain = 21.6 dB
- Programmable gain: 15.6 dB/17.9 dB/21.6 dB
- 0.1 dB compression: 1.00 V p-p/0.75 V p-p/0.45 V p-p
- Flexible active input impedance matching
- Variable gain amplifier (VGA)
- Attenuator range: 45 dB, linear in dB gain control
- Postamplifier gain (PGA): 21 dB/24 dB/27 dB/30 dB
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD9674 is designed for low cost, low power, small size, and ease of use for medical ultrasound. It contains eight channels of a VGA with an LNA, a CW harmonic rejection I/Q demodulator with programmable phase rotation, an AAF, an ADC, a digital HPF, and RF decimation by 2.
Each channel features a maximum gain of up to 52 dB, a fully differential signal path, and an active input preamplifier termination. The channel is optimized for high dynamic performance and low power in applications where a small package size is critical.
The LNA has a single-ended to differential gain that is selectable through the serial port interface (SPI). Assuming a 15 MHz noise bandwidth (NBW) and a 21.6 dB LNA gain, the LNA input SNR is 94 dB. In CW Doppler mode, each LNA output drives an I/Q demodulator that has independently programmable phase rotation with 16 phase settings.
Power-down of individual channels is supported to increase battery life for portable applications. Standby mode allows quick power-up for power cycling. In CW Doppler operation, the VGA, AAF, and ADC are powered down. The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as a programmable clock, data alignment, and programmable digital test pattern generation. The digital test patterns include built in fixed patterns, built in pseudorandom patterns, and custom user defined test patterns entered via the SPI.
- Medical imaging/ultrasound
- Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD9670EBZ evaluation board assists in evaluating all features of the AD9670 octal ultrasound analog front end (AFE) device. The AD9670 is low cost, low power, compact, and easy to use with medical ultrasound applications. The device provides eight voltage gain amplifier (VGA) channels, each with a low noise amplifier (LNA), a continuous wave (CW) harmonic rejection I/Q demodulator with programmable phase rotation, an antialiasing filter, an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and a digital demodulator and decimator for both data processing and bandwidth reduction.
The evaluation board provides eight Subminiature Version A (SMA) connector inputs for all eight AD9670 channels. The evaluation board mates with a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) data capture board (HSC-ADC-EVALCZ) that enables data capture through a USB connection to a computer.
The SPIController software provides flexible configuration of the AD9670 and the VisualAnalog® software offers powerful data capture and signal analysis tools.
AD9674 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
- For low jitter performance: AD9510, AD9511, AD9512, AD9513, AD9514, AD9515.
- For low jitter, low power, clock fanout buffers: ADCLK846, ADCLK946.
Recommended A/D Converter
- For sampling the I and Q signals in analog beamforming applications: AD7982.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.