Features and Benefits
- 8 channels of LNA, VGA, AAF, ADC, and digital demodulator/decimator
- Low power: 150 mW per channel, time gain compensation (TGC) mode, 40 MSPS
62.5 mW per channel, continuous wave (CW) mode; <30 mW in power-down mode
- 10 mm × 10 mm, 144-ball CSP_BGA
- TGC channel input referred noise: 0.82 nV/√Hz, maximum gain
- Flexible power-down modes
- Fast recovery from low power standby mode: <2 μs
- Low noise preamplifier (LNA)
- Input referred noise: 0.78 nV/√Hz, gain = 21.6 dB
- Programmable gain: 15.6 dB/17.9 dB/21.6 dB
- 0.1 dB compression: 1000 mV p-p/750 mV p-p/450 mV p-p
- Flexible active input impedance matching
- Variable gain amplifier (VGA)
- Attenuator range: 45 dB, linear-in-dB gain control
- Postamplifier (PGA) gain: 21 dB/24 dB/27 dB/30 dB
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD9671 is designed for low cost, low power, small size, and ease of use for medical ultrasound applications. It contains eight channels of a VGA with an LNA, a CW harmonic rejection I/Q demodulator with programmable phase rotation, an AAF, an ADC, and a digital demodulator and decimator for data processing and bandwidth reduction.
Each channel features a maximum gain of up to 52 dB, a fully differential signal path, and an active input preamplifier termination. The channel is optimized for high dynamic performance and low power in applications where a small package size is critical.
The LNA has a single-ended to differential gain that is selectable through the serial port interface (SPI). Assuming a 15 MHz noise bandwidth (NBW) and a 21.6 dB LNA gain, the LNA input SNR is 94 dB. In CW Doppler mode, each LNA output drives an I/Q demodulator that has independently programmable phase rotation with 16 phase settings.
Power-down of individual channels is supported to increase battery life for portable applications. Standby mode allows quick power-up for power cycling. In CW Doppler operation, the VGA, AAF, and ADC are powered down. The ADC contains several features designed to maximize flexibility and minimize system cost, such as a programmable clock, data alignment, and programmable digital test pattern generation. The digital test patterns include built-in fixed patterns, built-in pseudorandom patterns, and custom user defined test patterns entered via the SPI.
- Medical imaging/ultrasound
- Nondestructive testing (NDT)
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD9671EBZ evaluation board enables testing and evaluation of the AD9671 octal ultrasound analog front end (AFE) device. The AD9671EBZ evaluation board offers eight Subminiature Version A (SMA) connector inputs for all eight channels. The AD9671EBZ evaluation board connects to the HSC-ADC-EVALEZ field programmable gate array (FPGA) data capture board, and enables data capture via a USB connection to a PC. SPIController software enables flexible configuration of the AD9671, and VisualAnalog® software offers a powerful data capture as well as signal analysis tools.
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
AD9671 Companion Parts
Recommended Clock Drivers
- For low jitter, low power, clock fanout buffers: ADCLK846, ADCLK946.
- For low jitter performance: AD9510, AD9511, AD9512, AD9513, AD9514, AD9515.
Recommended A/D Converter
- For sampling the I and Q signals in analog beamforming applications: AD7982.
FPGA Interoperability Reports (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.